What sacrifices have you made for gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by bibowj, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bibowj

bibowj Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just realized how much Im currently suffering from GAS... to the point that it might just be ruining my life....

I have a date this weekend coming with a very attractive Japanese girl who speaks amazing english, and Im going to cancel in order to pay for shipping on my new Hassy...

... Im sick I know...

So what are some of the sacrifices that youve made in order to further your collection?

2. calceman

calceman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Pay for the shipment, and take the pretty girl for romantic picnic in a scenic place.

3. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What -- you've never heard of credit cards? At least hit somebody up for a loan -- just not me. :D

4. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Rethink. You can just postpone the Hassy for some days, but cancelling a date is off limits. When the next date is scheduled you have a good model for any kind of hands-on experience.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be a man. Pay for the shipping and ask her to pay for the date. We are in the twenty-first century.

Steve

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just money. No biggie. :surprised:

Regards, Art.

7. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the Hassy as soon as possible! If the girl has any class she will understand.

8. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait a sec ... I didn't really read your post. You're giving up a date with a cute chick for shipping? What are you stooopid?

Regards, Art.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sacrifices have involved selling musical equipment. It was mostly musical equipment that I inherited from my father, but never used. No reason for me to have 50 musical items when I make no money playing music, and don't even do it as a hobby as often as I should. So I have been slowly paring down the musical equipment and turning it in to photographic equipment. I have sold a Gibson ES-333, a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe flametop (traded for my initial Sinar kit), a mint condition Fender Rhodes 73 (not inherited; I had had it for nearly two decades), and I am currently selling a Marshall JCM-2000 TSL 122 combo and a Fender Super Reverb reissue to fund my Linhof Technika III.

The ones I am keeping for sure: 1927 Martin 00-28K2 (parlor sized, all koa wood, even the top, five made per year for about 10 years, I've never seen another one), 1968 Gibson SG (standard, two humbuckers, Vibrola, nylon saddles, the fastest-playing and most evil-sounding guitar I have ever played), 1968 Gibson ES-330 with factory metallic cherry paint that ended up fading the most amazing metallic copper color I've ever seen on an instrument, also with nylon saddles, Custom Shop Fender Esquire, tan with birdseye neck, and Custom Shop '58 Fender Stratocaster in sunburst with a birdseye neck. These guitars (plus all of my own) are too sweet and have too much sentimental value to me to ever sell them. Well, the Strat miiiight go some day, but not the Esquire.

Dates don't have to be expensive. In fact, the best parts of the best dates are almost totally free!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have three expensive interests [hint: cordless bungie jumping is low cost] so sacrifice is a way of life.

2F/2F has it right: "Dates don't have to be expensive. In fact, the best parts of the best dates are almost totally free!" If a woman is not interested in you, the amount of money spent will not change the outcome. If a woman is interested in you, spending money is not necessary.

Steve

11. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    bad decision in my opinion.

12. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait, you have a date with an woman for whom you have some sort of attraction and you're considering doing what, canceling the date for a camera? You must be kidding. If you're not then, pardon me for being so blunt, you're a jerk. Keep thinking that way and you'll find yourself with nothing to keep you warm at night save a bunch of mechanical gadgets. Don't be an idiot. Go and find out if maybe she's the girl for you. Maybe she is, maybe not; but you'll never know until you try. If she's got any sort of self respect, she'll dump you in a heartbeat if she finds out that you've dumped her for a camera.

13. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW-- theres a lot of things I would do without for toys, BUT NOY MY WIFE!!! I'd grt rid of anything for her. Toys come and go, but the chance to have ANY time with a good woman only happens once in a lifetime. The Hassy can and should wait, the date should and MUST happen--END OF DISCUSSION!!!! You would definitly be a CRACKHEAD if you chose anything over a good woman.
    My wife, fortunatly, indulges me and my toys. But I would never put them ahead of her, or any of my family for that matter.
    I have in the past, and still give up some toys for my whim-de-jour.
    Rick

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    after slipping on a rock on a jetti and going fully into the air and landing on my elbow, scraped , in pain and dazed i still reached out to catch my falling bronica ETR as if it were a football (id make some awesome comparison but i don't know anything about football), i got up tied my shirt around my bleeding arm and continued my work, it didn't receive any care until my day of photographing was done

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meeting women is easy. Another one comes by every 15 minutes like busses. [I am sure it is the same way for women meeting men.] If a woman [man] likes you, then she [he] will accept you the way you are including your interests and desires. If not, move on there is a better one for you out there.

Steve

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe its something in the water.

When I went into the army years ago, there was always the rumor that they put something in the water (in Basic training) to curb your romantic interest.

18. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I remember reading a story years ago about a photojournalist who won a Pulitzer for his work. At a party held to celebrate, he openly admitted he wasn't happy because he gave up so much in the process of his work.
    The quote always stuck with me: A camera doesn't keep you warm at night.

Anyway, enough about that. I'd say what I sacrifice is a life free of credit card interest charges...no small thing.

19. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Surely you're not that hard up for photo gear. Wait on the Hassy and take out the lassie.

20. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's pretty shallow, but you're right. Meeting women is easy. Meeting the right woman is hard. It takes a lot of work and sacrifice. It is often one failure after another. When you meet someone that you'd really like to know better, you are in a position where you have to sell yourself; and first impressions are everything. What sort of impression does it make to the object of your desire to know that a camera, a thing, an inanimate object, takes precedence? Answer that.

21. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gave up my Roland Jupiter 6 and Sequential Circuits synthesizers. I regret selling those puppies but they were too addictive and I was making no real contribution to music with those beasties.

Gave up some bad relationships with shallow people that hindered my artwork.

Pushing forward with the good. Leaving the bad for the past. Praying for the best.

22. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you even think about gear over the girl she must not be the right one for you anyway...
    If she was right for you the question never would have been ask

23. bibowj

bibowj Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wow, you guys are super serious on some things arent you? I was more interesting in what YOUVE given up....but since youre so intersted, said person is a stranger... and really its not a big deal... just trying to be funny..not being stooooopid :smile:

24. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is this from an ebay auction? if so, explain your situation to the seller, and then, if they have a heart in their body, they'll allow you to postpone payment until you've taken this girl out. IF THEY HAVE A HEART THAT IS :D

some people don't though.

i've given up sleep (pretty precious in my book), and lots of time working over a fryer(no longer thank God) in the name of newer, better gear. if I could go back and do it all over again, I would :smile:. But if a great girl was involved, the gear would have had to wait!

its your decision after all. some on this thread have said that if she has a heart, she'll understand. NOT TRUE SIR....

any good(or especially great) girl is worth more than all the gear in the world. besides, its not like there isn't another Hassie out there with your name on it...

just my $.02

-dan

25. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and think of the consequences that you'd suffer if she were to find out that you canceled, or even postponed the date because of having to use the money to pay for equipment? no warm bed for you :smile:. just cold sheets, along with your hasselblad to keep you company.

cold metal doesn't feel nice, especially when its cold out :sad:

-do what's right. take the poor girl out.

and you don't have to spend very much money. as stated in above posts, IF SHE LIKES YOU FOR YOU, SHE WON'T CARE HOW MUCH MONEY YOU SPEND, IF ANY AT ALL! she will want to be with you, to be with you, not your money.

-dan

26. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Send ALL of your photographic equipment to me...You don't deserve to own any of it, if you'd choose it, over going out with a "very attractive" Japanese woman.:D.:D.

Dann Fassnacht
    c/o General Delivery
    Aberdeen, WA 98520

Please let me know when it's on its' way, so I'll have an idea when to start looking for it at my local Post Office (General Delivery).