What should i do with my Kodachrome?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Nzoomed, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ive got 5 rolls of K64 24exp in my freezer, awaiting for the time when it can be processed.
    I understand its a complicated process and highly skilled requiring great knowledge of the chemistry and developing times etc.
    As a few are well aware, Steve Frizza has successfully managed to process it, while its probably not the same exact shape or form as K-14, the results appear somewhat accurate.
    The question is, will someone jump on board and set up a lab to process this, even if its only 1 run per year?
    I understand and respect Steve's reasoning for not wanting to provide such a service.
    What i would like to see though, even if just for informational purposes, is to document and share this information on the process.
    Perhaps someone else with the dedication would be able to continue the work from steve?

All i know is this film sells so easy on ebay, i got rid of mine on Ebay, keeping 5 rolls for myself, if its not worth keeping, i may sell it, but for the crazy prices people are bidding on the stuff, i can only assume some people are dead serious about shooting this film someday.

I would like the opportunity to be able to shoot this film if possible, since ive never had the opportunity to do so, i just wish i got into film photography earlier, as ive almost missed the boat on E6 as it is and am shooting my stockpile of ektachrome at the moment, im happy with the results im getting if nothing else.

2. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I were you, I would start an auction on eBay for 2 rolls at a time, then a final auction for the last roll.

Then I would buy some E6 or some other film for the profit. (most likely you'll earn a good lump of money) :smile:

3. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've seen people having trouble selling the stuff on ebay.Look at the completed listings.There's a sucker born every minute though.I hate to be a wet blanket,but I can't see anyone going to the trouble to develop it commercially again.Someone on this forum,I think he's in Australia,is trying to figure out how to develop it.(Maybe this was a dream I had!)

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He has already done it - as was stated in the opening post.

Steve.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sell one as NOS, rare, mint-condition, in original packaging, discontinued film.

Expose two and sell as "found in the bottom of a camera bag once owned by a Sports Illustrated photographer known to have shot Super Bowls. Very rare.

Expose two and sell as "found in the bottom of a camera bag once owned by a Playboy photographer known to have shot center-folds. Extremely rare.

7. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keeping in mind that it can still be developed as a B&W film, this could be considered fraud, unless of course the OP has worked for SI and PB. :wink:

In the meantime sell the film, all except one as a souvenir. The only way commercial processing of Kodachrome is coming back, is if commercial production comes back. What's left is a fraction of what was normally in the pipeline, and aging every day.

I wish it were another way... It just is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry,I didn't recognize "Frizza" as being a typically Australian name.

10. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i may sell the rest, but i want to shoot a roll if someone gets some processing underway, in the meantime i want to get all this information put together on my kodachrome Wiki.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shoot a roll on something — anything at all you desire, and just freeze it. I kept unopened rolls of Kodachrome from 1987 until 1997 when the last three went to the processor (Sydney, Australia): all perfect.

But I'm not optimistic at all of a re-emergence in Kodachrome processing — not with Kodak the way it is (and likely getting worse). Or with the rude march of digital.

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Throw it away. I'd feel like a con man selling the stuff, even with disclaimers. But that's me.

13. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've about half-a-dozen rolls in the freezer, one of each kind I had when it finished. I'm quite happy to keep them for now as souvenirs....I only paid normal price for them, and can't be bothered to put them on Ebay for (if lucky) a trivial profit. If processing comes back (not likely, IMHO), I'll use them for nostalgia, if not, the kids might find them interesting one day. :smile:

14. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... but it's not you. :confused:

:laugh:

15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fair enough. :wink:

I don't have a problem with someone else selling it as long as they reveal it can no longer be processed.