What to do with a Beseler CB7?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Chan Tran, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am wondering what I should do with my excellent condition Beseler CB7. I brought it all the way from Illinois when I moved to Texas last year but my new home is small and no room for a darkroom and the enlarger is occupying my much needed space. The enlarger is old. It's the blue and white version with the Dichro DG head and in excellent condition.

2. bladerunner6

bladerunner6 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sell it on eBay, Craigslist or Freecycle.

Or maybe find an art school that wants an enlarger.

Spread the love of film!

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if you have the adjustable to go with it (you should) then it's not really going to take up space--put all your darkroom gear trays, etc to store below---the baseboard acts like a shelf also--I'd keep it and use the storage space offered by it...you can even add another shelf in the middle of the stand if you have another base-board sized piece of wood.

MAKE it work with the decor--if you're not currently using it, then make a hipster book case out of it for a while...I have mine unused now for a couple of years and the table stores the rest of the darkroom stuff, which would take up storage space anyways.

if you get rid of it, you will never be able to get another--you already did the hard part moving it, don't throw all that work away!!!

4. jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes I am thinking of giving it away too. I don't think schools want enlarger nowaday. The CB7 is quite big and heavy so shipping is costly. I have made a number of modifications and they may confuse the new users.
    1. I put a little hole in the mixing chamber and run a fiber optic cable to a Sargent Welch/Minolta color translator to display the filtration settings. It works well for yellow and magenta channels.
    2. I made a low voltage cable to interface with the Gralab 900 timer so that I could start and stop the timer via the button on the enlarger. It's low voltage as I have a solid state relay inside the enlarger to turn on/off the lamp.

I do have a good number of neg holder including 35, 6x6, 4x5 as well as a 35mm negatran. I think I would keep the enlarging lenses for use with my bellow.