What to do with outdated magazines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Gary892, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Gary892

Gary892 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I seem to collect magazines like Jay Leno collects cars. Only my magazines are not collectables. I was looking at my poor desk as it was laboring under an ever increasing number of magazines and I though to myself, self, I wonder what my fellow apug members do with their magazines.
    I don't want to throw them in the trash as this increases the land fill.

So I am asking, what do you do with your reading material etc...?

Gary

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep them, and build bookshelves, I make the rounds about once a year to read them, every once in a while I take them down to one of the retirement homes, belive it or not, the guys and gals love them.

But most of all they hang around for years and become dog eared...

Dave

3. James Bleifus

James Bleifus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm also a magazine fanatic but I realized I was buying too many magazines and really pulled back. I gave my old magazines to other photographers who wanted them. You might consider giving them away or offering them cheap in the APUG classifieds.

Cheers, James

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simple rule of thumb at my house........One comes in, one goes out.
    Its the only way I can keep from being buried.
    I picked up 100 back issues of Photo-Life from the 80,s at a yard sale for $5.00. Wonderful resource material and great reviews. Thats one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription for the upcoming year. Not one analog article in 2005.

Mike

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If my local doctor's surgery or hospital don't want them for their waiting rooms I take them to the recycling depot.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I pass mine on to a photographer friend, who then passes them on to an old folks home. Not sure what happens after that, but I dare say they end up at the recylcing plant eventually.

7. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recycle, recycle, recycle. (You think you'll go back and read 'em but you won't!)

8. rjs003

rjs003 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Donate them to the local nursing home and hospital. Other wise I start tripping over them. Photography magazines I keep, kind of like a reference manual.

9. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've pretty much given up on the "how to" magazines. Lenswork goes on the bookshelf. The "one in-one out" rule applies to the others - when the new issue comes in, I look through the last issue to see if there is anything that I want to keep. Articles get clipped and filed in looseleaf binders. If there are individual images that I especially like, I clip them and paste them in a sketch book. Whatever is left over goes to the recycle bin.

I have a collection of those sketch books that I look through periodically when I feel the need for inspiration.

Then there is Outdoor Photography. I didn't want it - I actually subscribed to PhotoVision but got stuck with OP instead. I drop it off in the recycling bin as I walk in from the mail box - it's not even worth bringing into the house.

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I donate mine to local arts centre that still still teaches film based photography. I use to donate to the Evanston Arts Center when I was in Chicago. Now, I donate to the Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven.

Regards, Art.

11. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Magazines have a way of collecting in closets, bookshelves and magazine baskets near the chairs I use most often. After a few months, I go nuts and toss them all in the trash. Except for "Popular Photography". It goes from the mailbox to the trash immediately.

I keep the "Lenswork" and "B&W" magazines because they are the only ones with honest-to-God photographs in them.

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Off topic but I can't resist

This has become my basic philosphy in life. Now if I could only apply it to children. The baby is cute and cuddly; the 8-year old is a nice kid... but talks back too often.

13. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Gary,
    May I suggest that you may not be the ultimate judge of what is collectible. The magazines were interesting enough for you to buy. Maybe someone else picked up this interest later than you and wants to catch up. I have bought back issues of B&W, Aperture, Photovision, View Camera, etc. Many are dated from when I shot 35mm and had never seen an 8x10.

Put them on eBay. If you are wrong they may pay for some books or photo gadgets you may never throw away.

Another View
    John Powers

14. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get about 15 magazines a month. What I do is look at them once then set them aside for a week or so, then go through them again and cut out any pictures or articles that interest me.

I have file folders with decorating ideas, building ideas, photography ideas, jewellery ideas for the missus, watches, women I'd like to .....(never mind) etc.

Then I recycle the rest of the magazines into the recycle bin.

95% of the magazines are full of stuff that is eye candy and very little is useful. I devour the eye candy and keep what's useful.

Michael

15. Peter Williams

Peter Williams Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sell mine to Half Price Books for about a half a cent a piece.