What to rub on prints?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ThomHarrop, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ThomHarrop

ThomHarrop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Walter Rosenblum rubbed some kind of oil or laquer or something on his prints to make them glossy. Does anyone know what this might have been?

Thanks.

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Garlic is well known to ward off evil spirits. And others as well.

3. jarred_mccaffrey

jarred_mccaffrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha! If you're having a problem with visible grain, garlic might keep your viewers at a distance too.

4. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul Strand's printer, Richard Benson in article in ZoneVI Newsletter, in describing Strand's views & printing methods, states

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ph nuetral renniasance (sp) wax which is a micro crystaline wax is a good wax to use. If not shiny enough the first time, repeated applications will make it shiner. At least this is what happens with the stone sculptures I have done. I know light impressions carries it. Most art stores will have it as well.

6. John Cook

John Cook Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Renaissance Wax on Ilford fiber and RC paper, looking for a different surface (the painter in me coming out, I guess.) I liked it best on a matte surface since I could control the sheen by density of wax and rubbing technique. The best thing about it is that it refuses fingerprints very effectively as well as giving that soft gleam that furniture makers have prized for centuries. I want to work some pigment into the wax on a set of prints I'm doing now, perhaps like a encaustic painting over the photographic image.

We'll see...

Whitey

8. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Aggie,

I can not remember if it is Jobo or Bessler that made a buffer for print waxing or it may have been the Morita Co of Japan that made one. Sort of a wax on wax off sort of thing.

Hope this helps

Jan Pietrzak