What to use to cover up walls with for inside shooting?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by papisa, Jul 6, 2006.

1. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to cover up some walls and tables i made to shoot inside for backrounds, i do not remember which site it was on here.

A couple of you out there said there was a certain Fabric to use because this certain type of Fabric was thicker or densor for what ever reason. Maybe because of useing a flash inside it did not refelect it back to you.

Also some one said that they used a heavy canvas drop cloth and just painted it.
    I should of put this down on paper. I think i just found it, was is it Duck Cloth Fabric. And a Heavy Duty Painters canvas drop cloth and just paint it.
    Also what about Muslin i think, bad hand writing, Thanks.

Mike.

2. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My solution was simple and inexpensive. I picked up 4 cotton sheets from a yard sale for $1.00 and dyed them with a product I bought from the grocery store. I forget the brand name. (Rex??)
    simple,fast and cheap.

Mike

3. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Mike, that will be easy for me to do, also i will see about the canvas to, paint a bunch of them different colors to.

I looked up Muslin, and boy is it expensive but really nice stuff for backrounds. going to look up that Duck cloth fabric.

Mike.

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mike might be thinking of Rit dye. It is cheap and can be found in most grocery and fabric stores.

- Randy

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Randy nailed the name.

If you use a flat dye (grey or dark blue) it's possible to add some overlap with cans of spray paint. Gives a bit more texture and depth if you are artistically inclined.

JMK

6. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Mike and Randy, with the dye i can do a bunch of them different colors and the spray paint make different designs in the sheets that i dyed. I have a small air compressor and some where in the garage a small air brush put away, might be interesting to see how different designs in the sheets and colors would work with the subject or subjects i am shooting, will let you no how it works out, thanks again.

Mike.