What use a handheld meter?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Slowshooter, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The real value of the Zone System is being able to visualize a scene and exposing to reproduce your visualizing when printing. I think Fred Pickering in his Zone VI Workbook does a good job of explaining in a straight forward manner the Zone and how to test for personal ISO. For roll film is Carson Graves' Zone System for 35mm Photographers. He shows how to test for personal ISO without needing a desnistomer. For a standard record shot an internal meter with a gray card or incident meter works for even the most tricky lighting. I have a number of meters, but last few years I when shooting large formate I use the internal meter in my Sigma SD 15, matrix mode, with a strofome cup to fit over a 17 to 55 zoom, in Spot mode and a 70 to 300 reads less than 5% of a scene, it is not much larger than my Soilgiar Spotmeter.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually an internal meter can do a reasonable facsimile of incident metering. Point the camera 180 from the subject and defocus. You'd be surprised.

3. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As stated above, you have an amazing tool, the Sekonic L558. I recently got one too-- it does it all, really well. For many years I used a Weston II from the late 1940's and a gray card. That worked fine as well. I think you would do well to shoot a lot of film, try some filters, take a lot of meter readings with your in-camera meter and the Sekonic and run some tests on your development. That's really the only way you're going to get comfortable putting it together. Reading is nice, but nothing beats doing the work. Plus it's more fun-- Go out and shoot! experiment!

4. OP
    Slowshooter

Slowshooter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks once again everyone. I get someone else to process my films, so I'm not sure what developer he uses. I've processed film myself in the past and intend to get back to doing it. It certainly gives you more control. I suppose I'm somewhat timid in Lightroom. It's just that I feel guilty about changing the image too much from what it originally was. Then again, isn't that what every photographer (Adams included) has always done? Good old-fashioned bracketing appeals to me too. I would be happy with two or three good images out of a roll of ten. I'll definitely learn how to use the handheld meter properly and will make good use of it. Time to leave the reading aside and do some actual photography!

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are some before and after tone manipulation views of some of Adams' iconic photos kicking around the net, the difference in some of them is striking. He also changed his interpretation of some of these over the years.
    There is no reason not to be bold with lightroom (OR darkroom) if it suites your vision.

6. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Am I slow or missing the point completely? If I meter for the shadows and get a result say EV8 and the Highlights come out at EV14, if I am using ISO 100 film I should set my camera settings to EV6?

8. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Shadows (with detail) are at EV8, and Highlights (with detail) are at EV14, then one can assume the Zone V is in the middle of the two, so simplistically the overall exposure is (14+8)/2 = EV11

A simple average (or 'mean') of EV8 and EV14 is indeed EV11.
    But if you were averaging multiple readings, the 'average' biases the readings to be less/more than the simple mean.
    For example
    • 3 readings of EV8, EV9 and EV14 result in LESS THAN middle of the extremes EV11
    • 3 readings of EV8, EV12 and EV14 result in MORE THAN middle of the extremes EV11

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you measure 1000 spots equally spaced and average them all you would get the same reading at an averaging meter.