What work have you done for presevation of your photography?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Iluvmycam, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Young people don't think much about it. As we age, the older photographers may give this area some thought. As to what will happen to our photographs when we die.

2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've donated some to the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan and some to the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston.

3. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shower 5 minutes, bathe in Perma-Wash, then shower another 5 minutes. That way, I'm archival, and don't have to worry about it.

Seriously, I'm hoping some get passed down through my family, so there's a connection to future generations.

4. frank

frank Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Negs in sleeves, not files on a HD.

5. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hahaha ! Same here, too !!

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finding some old negatives on flea market - and then developing them and looking those pictures is time traveling for me, I enjoy it very much. So when you (we, I) are gone - our negatives go to family, and they can even sell them or give them to someone - but they will find a way to some future analog enthusiast in 100 years from now and he/she will develop your picture and have his/her time travel :smile:
    One of best characteristics of analog photography is long archival life.

7. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is unusual that libraries accept loose prints. Did you have any problems with getting them to accept?

I've worked a lot in the library preservation area and that was my experience with loose prints. I only got 3 out of the 90 libraries I solicted to accept loose prints.

But, if I spiral bound the same prints and called it a 'limited edition, hand printed book,' another dozen or so libraries accepted them. But 2 of the 3 that accepted the loose prints were in the UK. So as far as the USA, I only got 1 library to accept loose prints.

Another problem with libraries was this. A good handful of prestigious libraries I solicited refused my offers of the bound, hand printed book or loose prints, as their collection policy prohibited them from accepting original works of art.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  8. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Your lucky. That was what I was hoping for. I had never given it any thought until last year. Then I had a talk with my family about preservation in Nov of 2012. I found out my wife and estranged daughter in law plan to trash all my photography when I kick off. That got me motivated with preservation before all my work ends up in the nearest dumpster. (I had already lost all my work from the 1980's - 1990's in a flood.)

With my second rate stuff I have been putting some of it on Wiki Commons. If it is not museum quality and I am not embarrassed by it, I can send it to the WIKI. With my first rate work, I have had some success getting it into 24 museums and rare book libraries. With about 75% of the acceptance being from prestigious libraries. (I solicited about 235 museums and about 90 libraries to get into 24.)

The museums are very tough to get in. They require the Curator of Photography accepting the images to present to the Deputy Director. Then the Deputy Director must present them to the Director. Then the Director has to present to the Board of Directors and they must approve.

On top of this is the fact that the vast majority of museums are overloaded with photos and have little room. (So they say, but 'no room' may also be an excuse to reject in a nice way.) I have also offered high res TIFF files to the museums that say they are short on room. But as yet, no luck with acceptance of digital files.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  9. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be great that you give it to somebody - and then that somebody makes good marketing and you become next Vivian Maier, and then let them meditate over trashing your work.

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My ego doesn't care.

11. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My work is far more photojournalist than artistic. The Bentley Historical Library collects images related to the history of Michigan and the University of Michigan and sets up individual contributor collections; mine consists of photos, negatives, scans and even a DVD of 16mm movies my Dad shot in the 1940s. My images in the JFK Library are 35mm color slides of Kennedy making his peace corps speech at the U of M.

I would think most states have historical libraries interested in photos documenting life in that state over the years.

12. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Have you tried any other public institutions for acceptance?

13. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see. Then they are most appropriate for these depositories.

You are kind of unusual for the forums. I've been on a number of forums and few if any members work in this area of preservation via public collections.

At least no one replies to the threads with anything useful. Most of the replies will be of the nature 'so what if my photos turn to compost when I die' type of reply.

I contacted both libraries you mentioned. The Bentley rejected my donation as it was 'out of their scope.' Have not heard from JFK, but if a reply comes, it will most likely be the same.

My documentary work is on L.A. / Hollywood 1970's era.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  14. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You should look into any California State Library collections or college/universities in the LA area.

15. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with David Brown on this. Once I'm dead who cares about my prints unless I'm a news photographer, which I'm not. As for negatives, even in the case of famous photographers there's no real value to new prints made from negatives after the photographer is dead. So I'd say people who worry about their negatives lasting hundreds of years are all ego. Nobody's negatives need to outlast the photographer.

16. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, I just wrote to the CA State Library. I already tried a lot of the universities in CA, but not the state library.

17. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not interested in $. Just in presrvation. I owe it to the people I photographed over the years.

Imagine if no one cared about preservation? Museums and libraries would have nothing from history to be handed down from generation to generation.

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    mmm Vivian Maier comes to mind.
    I am working with a few estates that would disagree and are hoping to show their father/mothers work.

19. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    google John Yoko bedin the images in BW were commissioned by the estate to produce a show on the 40 year anniversary , at Bulger Gallery, we scanned the bw original negs and printed a selection of 16 x20 fibre prints for this show.
    I have a two wonderful inspirational prints from this series hanging in my home, I value them tremendously.

20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm not important, and never took a picture the world couldn't do without. And after I croak they'll all probably end up in the dump. But when I get to heaven, they'll have lots of Kodak and Ansco film there and I'll have till the end of time to shoot it all up, free. That is, presuming I won't be shoveling coal somewhere else.

21. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, fair point. There are exceptions to every rule, of course. But when it comes to what people generally consider to be the genre of "fine art" photographic prints, I think most photographers worrying about preserving their respective oeuvres for the ages have overinflated senses of self importance. I'm more of Tom1956's opinion, even when it comes to those of us who work hard to make the highest quality art. On the other hand perhaps I'm too much of a downer...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  22. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I throwed all my negatives,slides,notebooks and books. I am following a different path to be registered in patent database. Britain cares about technical history and inventors. I appeared in their Patent Gazette. That was good.

23. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C'mon - this is nonsense.

24. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Just a note of thanks Prof.

CA State Library worked out...BIG.