What would be your dream Christmas gift to give or receive?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by cliveh, Dec 19, 2011.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For me it would probably be a mint condition Reid & Sigrist with a 2” Taylor Hobson. The M & S socks are just not quite the same.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having made the mistake of not buying a Reid III with a TTH Cooke f2 50mm for £25 in the mid 1970's I was a poor student at the time. now I'd like £2000 ($3,200) of warm tone paper (all the same coating run) :D

Ian

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    We have all been there, got the T-shirt. In the early 70's I sold a Leica I with a 3.5 Elmar for £13 because I was stoney broke student.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was invited to go to Yosemite with a large group of co-workers for a week long class with Ansel Adams. Since I knew that the zone system was for sheet film and I had just stretched to by a 35mm camera and lenses, I knew better and passed it up.

A class with him now would be great, but I am afraid that his present environment is not all that desireable to me now.

5. LarryP

LarryP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To get the 150mm and 55mm lens for my P645 and all the film I could shoot in a year. To give ,since my mother still loves painting landscapes at 78 I'd love to nail at least one landscape a month to give her to paint from, sorry about the poor phrasing on that

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, I'm on the way home from Texas where I visited our daughter and her family. On the way to her place I bought 20 pounds of xoconostles, am looking forward to figuring out how to put most of 'em up. Will eventually cook 'em, since I have the Guanajuato Xoconostle Cookbook which is full of recipes that use guess what.

But that's my gift to myself. Yesterday the kid and I bought my wife a cute litte 32 quart tamalera with glass cover. She has no idea that she wants one, but when I hand her the box she'll realize that she's need one all her life. If she doesn't get the idea, well, it will another gift from me to me.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A house with room for a darkroom - I'd give it to my wife :smile:

8. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The dream gift to receive for me would be a happy family. My dad always asked for that and I never really understood it until recently. I dont want any objects/things any more, just a happy family.

9. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A gift that would give me the biggest smile? A working Fender Rhodes 73 key Stage Piano and amp to suit……and the magical ability to play it like Billy Preston on the Beatles song ‘Get Back’.

OK, I’m going through one of my ‘phases’ at the moment….

10. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To spend Christmas with our two daughters who now both live in California, while we're still back east in Massachusetts.

11. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto.

12. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    1+

TO have all my kids here with their families. Amazing how little we need as we get older.

Oh, gifts... Money is always welcomed.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A permanent job [whatever the Hell that means today] back in Los Angeles.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A freezer full of Ilford Art 300 paper comes to mind (from a selfish perspective), but I'd settle for a year without close relatives passing away (last 2.5 years have been rough that way).

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    deleted => see the deleted thread for more information.

17. Kav

Kav Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photo wise, I got mine. A secret santa sent me a Hasselblad 500ELX and 5 rolls of 125PX.

Life wise, I will not. The Ex refuses to let me see my son while I'm deployed and tells me that she throws away anything I send him. I'll be back in court once I return to take care of that.

18. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't really answer this truthfully, as the Political Correctness police would pounce on me. Anyway, second choice would be a Stanley of Derby Ashworh-Hepplewhite-Gray lamp.
    Steve

19. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    An OLD man here at my school told us one of the stories about Santa Claus.. Saint Nicolaus. He was one of the bishops chosen by the pope to decide what Christianity (and the Bible) should be about, but he was apparently a man of his own mind, so he protested in some things in that regard.
    He was then put to jail.

One night he was getting a visit from the Arc angle Michael, that told him, he would get his freedom and respect, bu tin return he was to give mankind the greatest gift of all: The gift of tomorrow....

I have a good life - a beautiful girlfriend - a job - a hobby - too many cameras and lenses to use, so I'll "settle" for "tomorrow".

Merry Christmas all!

20. LarryP

LarryP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have changed my dream gift. What I want is an M9 a 1.0 Noctilux and a black cat. I want this so I can take scads of ' black cat at midnight' pics post them to flikr and become king of the cat pic takers.:whistling:

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    whirled peas

22. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A brick of HIE.

23. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My sister is an Doctorate Student at Harvard and sent me Bolger Yacht Plans book. I am planning to have a 5 meters ferrocement yacht. Steel wire is expensive and I need money for it. May be I can find steel fibers donated by Lafarge. If I cant find it , I have 5.5 meters J Boat Americas Cup boat Ranger plan for fiberglass and the International 2.4 meter class boat plan for fiberglass. I need to accomplish one of them for this summer. Owning one of them is the biggest gift to us.

24. Crashbox

Crashbox Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My own chemistry lab so I could make my own exotic developing agents. Since it's only a dream, I may as well imagine what I could make... let's see... 2,4 diaminophenylglycine for starters. It would have the reduction potential and water solubility of amidol and the unique qualities of glycin.

I must not be normal...

25. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Crashbox....

Your not.....I have one ( several in fact ) and not once in 25 years at ILFORD have I ever thought that this in any way could be construed as a 'nice thing to have' as a Christmas gift, still as my Grandmother always said 'it takes all sorts to make a world'.

Anyway, if you are ever passing this way you are welcome to have a go in one....

Simon ( Santa ) Galley ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

26. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to give more photographers the joy of film photography and an appreciation for darkroom work. That would be the best present for me too, because more users would insure a better future for film photography in general.