What would you want from a printing frame?

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Seele, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Seele

Seele Member

In my search for the perfect printing frame I have decided to make my own. Here is my list of requirements:

1. Even pressure across the whole glass area.

2. Fast printing.

3. Completely non-slipping.

4. When the "free" half of the back is opened for inspection and put back, it should not crunch the paper.

5. Several of them together should be stackable without fear of scratching the glass.

So more to add to the list?

2. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I especially appreciate #5.

A detent so that one can grab the glass when removing it for cleaning without risking finger prints on the printing area. (I know, one should use cotton gloves...)

Use a cement for the back-flocking that isn't so stubborn. I like to change them without making a huge project of it.

Keep them to wood construction. Modern composites are static magnets.

Now the hard part - :smile: Incorporating pins for contrast masks into a 'traditional' wooden frame. Okay, fugedaboudit.

3. OP
    Seele

Seele Member

Thanks for your thoughts, jjstafford.

I have been agonising over the idea of incorporating registration pins, not for masking but for multiple printing. Fixing them along one edge to match a pin-reg punch was obvious but the shrinkage of paper after repeat soaking and drying pulled everything out of registration, unless the pin is on the glass bang in the middle so as to make it less noticeable.

Keep the ideas coming!

4. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oversized and some sort of provision for holding the glass to the frame (but also unlockable for removal and cleaning) so that the sandwich could be easily loaded right-side up...split back on counter face up, then with printing paper emulsion up, then negative emulsion down, covered finally with the glass and frame. I'd also put a spacer to hold the hinge back level while loading and covering with the glass and upper frame.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would love a frame like that. It would make multiple printings MUCH easier, right now I tape them together and that can be a pain.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Coated anti-reflective glass (better than textured anti-newton glass, in my experience).

I have a Kodak frame with registration pins and a punch. I'd be happy to send you a picture, if it would help, but I don't think there's any registration system that would work with repeat soakings. It would just be for USM and contrast masks.