What's best oil for oiled paper negative?

Discussion in 'Paper Negatives' started by mossbloom, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mossbloom

mossbloom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been trying printing a negative (out of Photoshop) onto drafting vellum, then oiling it for transluscence and contact printing it. That works fairly well, though the dynamic range isn't more than 3 stops and it's strangely grainy, almost like a Matisse. I've been using corn oil, which is moderately dense. I'm wondering if I might get better results with a lighter oil, or, perhaps a thinner paper (one of those Japanese bark papers?). Anyone out there doing this process who might comment?

Al Lockwood
    moss bloom studio

2. jrhilton

jrhilton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been using paper negatives for Cyanotypes for years. In my experience the best method is to put the paper on a warm kitchen plate warmer with some tissues under it and use melted beeswax. It takes a bit of practice but is better than any oil in my own experience. If you do want to use oil, then "baby oil" works ok but it takes quite a long time to dry fully.

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I've used pure linseed oil before on paper negatives with good success. Just poor some oil in the middle and rub it in - making circles - gently until it is all absorbed. Then poor some more and repeat.
    BTW: I didn't use vellum, but Ilford photo paper, of which I peeled of the plastic back layer.
    DSC_8757.jpg

4. mossbloom

mossbloom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool--and thanks!
    Al

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    parafin works well too