Whats going on with my Bronica Gear!!!! :(

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cherryrig, Nov 8, 2008.

1. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a Bronica SQ-A and something has gone wrong within the camera, and I can't seem to correct it just using the two levers on the side.

The issue is that for some reason, all of the time now I have the multiple exposure tabs on the side of my mirror, however the multiple exposure lever is not set to multiple exposure, yet the tabs on the side are there. Also the other switch is set to N and I'm still having the same thing appear.

I also don't understand how when I put a back on the camera it still works fine, just with the little tabs appearing, and the multiple exposure works as well.

I'm wondering if you know what the problem could and is there anyway to fix this issue

Cheers guys and I don't know why all these issues have just happened

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I own an SQ-A, but I'm drawing a complete blank on the "little tabs" you refer to. Admittedly I've only used multi-exposure to give a quick check of a new lens or back without film.

Where are these tabs?

DaveT

3. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    those tabs show up in the viewfinder to let the user know he has the multiexposure one. It's the same on the ETRSi I have.

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check the multiple exposure lever is actually turning the spindle it is attached to. I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. On examination I noticed a hairline crack in the plastic of the lever which was enough to loosen it and stop it turning the spindle. A little super glue used extremely carefully and it was fixed. Of course that lever can now not be removed from the camera, but at least I got the functionality back. (If this is what is happening with your camera, make sure spindle and lever are properly aligned before going mad with the glue!)

5. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm sure where I'm meant to be looking. Is it on the lever it's self or inside the camera, as on the lever I can't really see anything wrong :sad:

How do you remove the lever? Just pull it?

6. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where's this spindle you talk about as I'm looking in the camera body and I can't see anything :sad: Been looking next to the mirror to see if there is swicth or something, but no.

I really want to get this sort as I'll then have to either try and get it repaired or just buy a new body, however I don't really want to do that :sad:

7. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These are what the little tab things look like

[​IMG]

Look at the mirror and see those black tabs next to it, those

Hope someone can help

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The spindle is what the switch is mounted on. If the switch is slightly loose it won't turn the spindle and the camera will stay in the multi-exposure setting.

In the two attachments below you can see the multi-exposure switch on my camera. In the first it has the rubberised centre cap in place, in the second the centre cap is removed revealing the end of the spindle. If you turn the switch and the spindle does not move then you have a loose switch.
    The centre cap is kept in place with a small dab of what looks like PVA glue.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  9. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before you go tearing your camera apart... Those tabs simply hold the mirror glass to the assembly which moves it, they have nothing to do with the multi-exposure function. The tab which tells you the camera is in multi-exposure mode is only visible through the viewfinder. You will see it in the top left of the frame, it looks like a little trapezoid with a circular hole in it (see attachment below).
    You can also see it appear and disappear in the top right of the ground glass if you look at without a viewfinder fitted and you work the multi-exposure switch.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  10. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy, is your Bronica an SQ-A -- not Ai -- I don't see that tab indicator on either of my "believed working" SQ-A bodies. (Maybe I have a problem I didn't know about. I've never actually used ME in taking photos with it.) My manual doesn't mention any indicator -- of course, the manual is not exactly a major encyclopedia!

Anyway, reckon that's why I was mystified by he earlier discussion.

Ver-r-r-rrry interesting,

DaveT

11. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave, mine is an SQ-Ai. I was not aware the SQ-A did not have the indicator tab. My mistake.

12. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well my SQ-A seems to work fine it just feels like something is different about it thats all. I never saw the ME mirror thing before, but now it's there?!?!

Hmmm

13. evilhomer78

evilhomer78 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    cherryrig. Here are links to the sq-a and sq-ai manuals. Only the sq-ai has the indicator in the view screen for multi-exposure.

SQ-A Manual
    SQ-AI Manual

14. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Phewww! Thanks - now I feel better. I've done some good stuff with my SQ-A, but having had a serious fault in a body last year, my confidence isn't real high as to what I know and don't know about the little monsters. Looks like this indicator is another one of the sneaky differences between the -A and the -Ai that I was blissfully ignorant of.

DaveT

15. samurai_cinema

samurai_cinema Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone has a tip on how to remove the lever if replacing it?

Mine is cracked and won't rotate the spindle. The gap in the crack is just getting bigger as i push the lever forward to multiple exposure mode. So I'm figuring that the spindle has an oval shape at the connection to the lever?

I'm quite inexperienced so it would be really nice to know if there's a chance to replace the lever by yourself if able to find a spare one.

(EDIT: SQ-Ai model, if that makes any difference)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  16. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, this is a snippet from a service manual which probably predates your -Ai, but I suspect it might be the same mechanics. The center blob on the spindle is a glued on bit of vinyl(?) that covers a screw head.

_Bronica_MirrorUpLever.jpg

The trick is finding a replacement lever. It looks as though there are flats on the end of the shaft it attaches to which would prevent rotation. I suppose a really creative and patient (and desperate) owner could operate on a piece of aluminum with file and hacksaw to make a replacement, but it would not be fun!

17. samurai_cinema

samurai_cinema Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Dave! That was very helpful. :smile: I found the screw head grooves after scraping off some glue.

I see, I should have guessed, flats is the more obvious design of the shaft end.