What's in a Polaroid print coater?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by okto, Apr 13, 2008.

1. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I looked up the MSDS for the print coater goo, and got the following info:

Isopropanol/Isopropyl alcohol, 5-15%
    Zinc acetate dihydrate, 2-5%
    Glacial acetic acid, 3-7%

However, not only are these percentages VERY approximate, but the MSDS is not required to list "chemicals present in the mixture in concentrations below 1% which are considered not to be a hazard", so I may be missing some essential ingredients.

Does anyone know the full ingredients list with concentrations for the Polaroid print coater? Many of the ones I find in old film boxes are dried up, even though the developer pods in the film often aren't because they're inert-gas packaged. (Why did no one think to do that with the coater?)

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to know, but have forgotten. I do know that it contains an organic heterocyclic compound, that is, more specifically it is a ring system with nitrogen and carbon. It may be a piperazine or piperadine compound or something like that. It is what gives it that strange peppery odor. There is also a lacquer and another solvent there.

That is all I remember for the coater that goes onto a finished B&W print.

PE

3. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Print Coater Goo

I've used regular rattle-can spray lacquer on many of my prints for just the same reason and 15+ years they are still good with no deterioration.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, actually, Polaroid silver prints are subject to dichroic fog or bronzing if the pH is not right and if they are exposed to oxygen, and this is why they apparently need a stabilizing agent. That is what the print coater is for. I suppose that lacquer may be ok, but IDK. Never tried it. Our coaters used to dry out and I asked about the contents of the coater so I could make my own. I was treated to a lengthy description of the reasons for it and the contents but this is about 40 years ago so I have no memory of it except what I said above. It is apparently a lot more complex than the MSDS would lead one to believe.

I don't think Polaroid would go to all of that trouble if it was not useful in some way.

PE

5. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Glad to have a chemist (or at least someone knowledgeable about chemistry) involved, as I know very little.
    I have heard before that the coater contains piperadine, so we can safely assume that's in there. The real question is the concentrations. 5-15% is a pretty wide range.
    I wonder if anyone could get ahold of the Australian MSDS, I have heard that Australian regulations for what must be included in the chemical breakdown are much more strict.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not sure which coating you are referring to exactly, but in the 7th edition of the Neblette the washing/stabilizing/isolating issue concerning Polaroid diffusion-prints over their history is treated in an own small chapter, though not going much into chemical detail.