what's old is new

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Whiteymorange, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are only standard b&w darkrooms over here, if at all.

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whitey, thanks for the link. I followed it and read, am absolutely appalled by the student, who said:

I hold no brief for digital but that's just stupid.

And then there's the one who asked, of platinum prints,:

Maybe the kids really are dumber than we were at their age. Hard to imagine, but ...

4. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that link. Nice to see "real" photography being practiced. Sure wish someone would come up with a business model and create a user darkroom facility in most every community so all of us had a darkroom so we could practice too...

Bob E.

5. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Why take a common picture?" seems to me to be an entirely admirable expression of ambition, rather than "dumb"

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's nothing wrong with taking uncommon pictures but I can't see any relationship between the image capture medium or the medium used to produce the final print and the image's commoness (or lack thereof). Asserting a connection that doesn't exist seems silly.

The kid may have meant that because Pt prints are expensive and the technique is difficult making them requires more care in all stages of the process, including image capture, than cheaper and easier alternatives. If so, then the kid hasn't learned that we don't try to do things well because of mistakes' cost. We try to do things well because doing things badly is wrong.

7. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Platinum printing will be a thing truly of the past if suitable paper choices keep dwindling.

8. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My step son attends Douglas Anderson School of the Arts here in Jax. It's a magnet high school with competitive enrollment, so the kids who are selected are already developing competence in their art (music, dance, writing, visual art, film) as freshmen. All the visual arts students are required to take photography and the course is divided between analog in freshman and sophomore years and digital in junior and senior years. When I attended an open house last month, the smell of fixer (perfume to my nose!) was in the air just as ink had been in the printmaking classroom. It may be rare, but it's still happening! http://dcps.duvalschools.org/anderson

9. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The phrase in the lead does ring the toys s US generational cry.
    " anyone with a cell phone can take pictures..."
    Evidently the goal of creating art should have ceased once crayons were available.
    Rant over... when I was young recycling ment wrapping the garbage
    In yesterdays newspaper. Fitting some how.

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think we're being too hard on these guys.

First, the comment "Digital images are inherently less interesting just because everyone does it" was followed by "When someone sees something like this, it'll hold their attention longer because it catches them off-guard,". Frankly, a platinum image captures my eye - and garners a longer look - because it's different. Doesn't make it better.

Second, this is an online article. The reporter - who probably doesn't really understand the medium - wrote this. Then an editor cut it back to meet space requirements. Then an online editor further cut it back. Who knows what (comments or context) was left out.

I give them (the students and the school) credit for taking the effort.

11. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought it was noteworthy to see image 4 - someone using their iPhone to snap a picture of the platinum prints.

12. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I did platinum in college I used Rives BFK and Arches cover buff. Both needed minimal sizing, and delivered consistent (and beautiful) results. These are easy (if slightly expensive) papers to buy, source, and use...so I have no idea what all this bellyaching about paper choice is about. Just about any high quality fine art etching or lithographic paper will work fabulously.

13. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    artonpaper (doug schwab) has informed me that BFK and Cover Buff are no longer suitable for pt/pd...sorry for any confusion I may have caused...

hopefully a good replacement that is easy to source can be found...