What's pretty much the cheapest 35mm camera?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, my Canon AT-1 apparently didn't fix itself after all. It still exposes about 5% of photos drastically wrong due to the shutter sticking or something. It was a very useful camera for me because I could keep it loaded with B&W all the time, and I had a 2x teleconverter for it and I don't have any other long lenses for my other cameras. I can't afford to fix it, cause it would probably cost over $100. Unfortunately it seems AT1 cameras go for $50 or more, which is still too much. So, I want a cheap camera. It doesn't have to be a canon if the whole works is cheap enough, but I have a canon lens already. The only features I really care about are TTL metering; it can be manual with a viewfinder needle or whatever but I don't want to have to use a meter. I've found some Canon's on keh for $20, but I'm not sure if the lenss I have will fit them. Some are AF.

eos

eos elan

eos elan II

rebel

rebel G

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad. If you would switch brands, I would suggest a Minolta SRT 100, 101, etc....

They are a super dooper value on the used market. I have got rid of all of mine, but I liked them when I had them. I would say to check locally before checking eBay. Then try KEH. Mine were $10 - $20 with lenses from thrift shops, and working perfectly.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    would a overhauled ae-1 for $99 work for you?
    http://www.slr35.com/

i have known joe for years. he does GREAT work!

4. bnstein

bnstein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All the cameras you list use the 'new' canon lens mount and IIRC will not be compatible with the FD mount on your AT-1. If you are looking at KEH you need the Canon manual focus section (There seems pretty slim pickings there for <$50 though....).

5. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Canon AV1 (aperture priority only) are going cheap.
    If you want shutter priority I've seen the AE1 program with 50mm lens go for £15 (pickup only).

btw........check sellers for camera squeek on all "A" models....apparently over time, some cameras get the squeek which comes from the mirror operating mechanism and needs a tiny drop of special oil.

6. Ian Tindale

Ian Tindale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd say those 'disposables' are possibly among the cheapest 35mm cameras, certainly regarding the new market - the used market would represent a different story.

7. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've not seen this first hand, but I have heard that Canon used foam strips in the curtain mechanism. This is the same foam found around back covers and (in Olympus OM) pressing against the pentaprism. With age it turns into a tar and will surely affect shutter speeds if it is in the Canon shutter mechanisms. John, www.zuiko.com

8. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think if you want a Canon, you'd be better off springing for a tlb, Ftbn or, if at all posable, the F1, 2ed model. There are other great Canon cameras like these, including the EF, and most will take your FD and FL lenses. Those that require manually stopping down the lens to meter carry the advantage of simultaneous depth of field previewing, something overlooked by many photographers nowadays.

Some of these are not the 'cheapest' Canons on the market and you'll have to use hearing aid batteries or a converter for modern button cells, but they are highly reliable and even if the battery dies, will work every time, using the Sunny 16 rule, pocket exposure charts or a stand alone meter which, I understand, you don't want but may one day use.

My first new Canon, by-the-way was an AT-1 and I really loved that little camera, the first of a number of 'A' series Canons I've owned, but for taking pics with an older camera, IMO, an all metal body with mechanical shutter rules.

9. bnstein

bnstein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    completely agree but way beyond the implied max price of $50.

10. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    bnstein, that's true in most cases but I've had some luck at small, out-of-the-way pawn shops in finding good examples of older camera gear. A lot of the time the shop has just given up on moving anything they might have had in a bargain box for years and will jump at any offer.

He can also post in the wanted section on Craigslist what he's looking for and how much he's willing to spend. It'll cost him nothing and he might just come up with a deal. Also a Freecycle wanted post for free gear can help too. Of course he'll never know if he doesn't try.

Cheers

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might what to look at the classified section of Apug.

Jeff

12. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here's what's going to happen: You'll either get lucky the first time around. OR, you'll buy the cheapest camera that you can. It won't work. So you'll buy another. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. Then you'll buy another. Same thing. You'll repeat this until you, a) give up in frustration, or b) get a working camera.

I'd buy that $99 camera with the knowledge going in that it works.

Going the cheap route can cost you more in the long run. Buy a working camera. Buy it once.

13. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll second the recommendation for the AV-1. They are dirt cheap. I got mine for less than $20 and it's in near-mint condition. Don't think that because a camera is cheap it won't work. Cheap cameras are cheap because people don't want them anymore. The AV-1 has never been popular.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  14. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

...and with the AV1 use an adaptor to M42, use any screw lens stopped down at selected F stop, and with TTL it will work out the shutter speed automatically for P&S.....of course you have a readout in the view finder to change aperture to shutter speed.

btw you focus at max aperture for screw lenses but must remember to stop down for the shot, as only FD lenses will work on auto.
    Pentax screws are easy to use as they have a stop down slider from max to the set aperture.

15. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If $50 is too much sell your other cameras
    If don't want to do that sell the lenses you have for the canon and buy film and use that film in the camera/s you do have

I'm tight with my money
    but if $20 bucks is all you wish to spend on something you really NEED
    you don't need it

Just sounds a lot like GAS/persona

Very useful=very valuable does not=$20

Cheap tripod surprisingly good
    Amvona Dynatran
    Buy one used off ebay. Cheap new. Don't let people tell you they're garbage
    They are cheaply manufactured but they're stable like a Bogen.
    Do NOT buy a wal-mart piece of crap.

16. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think I'd save up, then buy a better body, like the 1st generation AE-1 for $99 that's been overhauled. Either that, or look in the AS IS section of KEH. They sometimes sell bodies that need refoaming for cheap. I've seen some BGN grade Nikkormat bodies going for $25, just because KEH doesn't want to refoam them. If you're willing to do the work yourself, you might be able to get a properly working AT-1 or AE-1 for $45-$50, then buy one of the kits off eBait.

-J

17. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about a Olympus XA from KEH? More or less manual, great lens, and tiny size!

Oh, and 65$

18. TheOtherEast

TheOtherEast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been happy with my Rebel S, they go for about 40 USD

19. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That Rebel won't work with the older FD lenses that the AT-1 used.

20. TheOtherEast

TheOtherEast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, I figured that was ok because he linked to a bunch of EF cameras. Didn't read close enough I guess.

21. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Duse the man said $50 was too much!