What's the most film you ever shot in one day?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by RattyMouse, Sep 30, 2012.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is your highest one day consumption of film? 5 rolls? 50 rolls? 500 rolls??!!!!

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BAck when I used 35mm about 50 rolls a day on occasions, with 120 20-30, with 5x4 a 20 images.

Ian

3. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    When I did weddings I would regularly shoot between 20 and 25 rolls of 120/220.

Jonathan

4. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Eighty Eight rolls 120 and 35mm, between my partner and I at a wedding in Austraia, 8 am to 1 am the next day. I would have made my target goal of 100 rolls if I didn't have 3 out of 4 cameras poop out for various reasons. And you know, I distinctly recalled as I walked out the door that day thinking " I wonder if I should bring the F3P "Just In Case".

5. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    About 5 rolls of 120 (6x7, so ~50 frames) while on holiday. I don't shoot film commercially though; my frame record is 1100/day shooting a wedding (8 hours) on digital.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A full day of bird photography for me is around 10-12 rolls of 35mm, and by birding standards, that's fairly modest.

A fairly intensive day of 4x5" could involve 4 Grafmatics, or 24 sheets, most likely shooting street style.

Once in a while a dozen or so sheets of 8x10".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For general image making times, 20 or so sheets of 4x5 and 5 120 rolls + or -
    For paid work, 20-30 rolls and/or dozens of 4x5 sheets.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i think it was 50 sheets of 4x5 film for a job
    and i went back the next day and shot another 40-50 sheets
    for about 5 days ... ( documenting a quarry ) and for about 3 days ( documenting a mill )
    and about 5 days ( documenting a machine tool company )

for roll film ... 7 or 8 ( maybe more? ) rolls of 120 just wandering around

9. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually about 10 rolls of 120 but I feel like that's my leftover habit from dig**al. I think I'm just shooting blindly and not slowing down, which was one of the reasons I wanted to get back to analog. So I have added LF to my equipment and that helped me down significantly. I am a lot more selective about what I shoot and how and attempt to control my "fire at will" urge. FWIW, I shoot mostly landscape stuff and not professionally. So the amount of shots I get isn't as critical for my purposes. It's more about quality and not quantity for where I am right now.

10. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wasn't the shooter (gaffer) but we used nearly 200 sheets of 4x5 on a lexus IS250 shoot. The photographer said that wasn't out of the ordinary.

Attached Files:

11. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    9 rolls of 120

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Second unit on Chupacabra Terror for the SciFi Channel on some days about 10,000 feet. That's around 3000 rolls. My personal final tally on the show was around 90,000 feet.

On some other shows the tally was much higher, but those had a and b cameras, so although they both were under my direction I had operators except when I chose to shoot with one or the other.

13. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photography is not a contest to see who shoots the most rolls/sheets in q day. What matters is how many good images one gets.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I agree. What's the most you have shot in a day?

16. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am happy to get a handful of good images from a day's shooting.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 200 6x6 negatives at a wedding.

Distributed between 120 and 220 rolls - I can't remember how many of each, but most likely it would have been on one of the versions of Vericolour.

I seem to recall that it was a lot of work adding labels to all the proofs, and marking the file and roll numbers on the rebate on each of the negatives with a technical pen .

18. PanaDP

PanaDP Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Since all of my still shooting is personal and on my dime, it's pretty modest. I think the most is in the realm of 8 rolls of 120 or a dozen sheets of 4x5.

Professionally, I loaded film for a concert video one time. There were 9 cameras running and either 2 or 3 loaders. I, myself, loaded something like 80,000 feet of film that day. I assume the other loaders did similarly.

19. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    38 rolls of 35mm on a ski endurance race that went for 24 hours....mucho tired after than one. I am fairly picky now, I shoot anywhere from 2-30 exposures of 35mm, 120 or 4x5 per day on average, mostly 120, very little 35mm anymore...

20. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In 1974 at Elkart Lake race track I spooled and shot a 100 ft. roll of Tri-X. That was about 1400 shots on a couple of Olympus Pen F half frame cameras. Now I'm too broke to go through much film in one day. My average B&W film consumption per year has been about 40 roll of 35mm, 10 rolls of 120, and 20 rolls of 16mm (spooled from Eastman Double-X into Minolta cartridges) for my Minolta 16II.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  21. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't shoot much film on a single day. Maybe 2 rolls of 120 or 2 short rolls of 35mm on a good day.

Jeff

22. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In general a roll lasts me for several days or even weeks. However when I go somewhere special --like a trip to London, I shoot lots and lots of film.

London -- approx 25 rolls in 5 days

Big Bend National Park -- 20 rolls 35mm in 4 days plus 8 rolls 120.

23. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends for me, a slow week only a roll or two if work is busy, or if the weather isn't too nice. When it's nice out a handful of rolls a day is average of 35mm and 120. On vacation Ive burned through double of that on some days. The last vacation I shot something like 50-60 rolls of 35mm, and 70 so rolls of 120 in about a month.

24. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, I exposed 75 sheets of 4x5 during 6 months of traveling to photograph in New Zealand...I do not think I have ever exposed more than 10 to 12 sheets of film in a day of photographing anywhere.

25. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Road America......beautiful race track.

26. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahhh, something where I can (almost) be a contender, outside of tech/process questions... As a kid, I spent a few years doing hi-volume department-store portraits. We shot long-roll 70mm film, Kodak CPS (pro color neg), back when quality was important.

My very heaviest shooting days occasionally ran into a 3rd 100-foot roll of 70mm film. So perhaps a bit over 200 feet of film (the first magazine was always a partial roll). For "equivalent rolls," let me see...we shot it as "split 70," where the frame is rotated in the manner of half-frame 35mm. I'm thinking perhaps 660 shots/roll. The negs were about the size of a 645 on 120 roll-film. So, equivalent would be roughly 80 rolls of 120 film.

Knowing what a long, hard day this was, I'm kind of astounded at the people doing 50 rolls (and up) using hand cameras; I hope they had motor drives. (Mine was a purpose-built long-roll portrait camera, on a spring-counterbalanced tripod with casters.)