What's up with my cold light head ( or VC filter problem)

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by nze, Feb 10, 2006.

1. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all

Last week I decide to try some VC Paper, you should consider me as a Graded paper fanatic. But I hear of the split grade printing method and I want to give it a try.

I have an old Durst 1000 with condenser light and Durst cold light head which I almost use. With my graded paper I get 10-20 seconds exposure for most of my work and I fine control the contrast with pre exposure, and developper.

But My problem with VC paper (I try Bergger which need long exposure time) is that for grade 2.5 to 5 I need about the same printing time but for grade 2 and under my printing time are far longer and worse than all exposure is different at each change of filter. for example for grade 1 I need to expose 40 second and then for 00 60 seconds.

I already use filter with cold ligth ( about ten years ago) but I never got such problem.

Regards

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I am sure you know, you need to expose VC paper with yellow light to get low contrast. Some "cold-light " (cold cathode) heads are so blue that you cannot use VC paper at all, more modern ones are better but may still be bluish so that exposures through a yellow filter are disproportionately long. If you have the option of printing with a condenser head, this would be much better.

3. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think mine is so blue .
    You well write what's happen to me. In fact he last Cold light head I've used was a Zone VI and I never got such problem.

I will go back with the condenser light and the yellow bulb to use this paper.

Thanks

4. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't remember where I read it, maybe here? On some coldlights you need a green filter on light source to change the blue output enough to use VC papers.

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With older cold light heads (specifically with the Aristo W45 lamp), Ilford recommend a 40Y filter with MGIV. PDF labelled "CONTRAST CONTROL" on the Ilford site here: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

Cheers, Bob.

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those times you stated are normal for me, depending on what film, film size and how they were developed. I use a 40 ccy along with the VC filters and believe that that combination is the reason for my times.
    Good jazz playing on my little boom-box is enought to distract me so that I don't notice the longer times. :D

gene

7. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aristo now makes a V54 lamp for their heads which is a more blue-green color, balanced for VC filters. I use one, and do experience longer exposures, but with Forte Polygrade V FB it is worth the trouble, for me. Also, the information with the filters (I use Ilford filters) states a uniformity of exposure between most of the grades (except the extreme ends), which does not happen even with Ilford MG paper, I assume because of the light color. I still use the combination above and find it worth occasional total exposure time of 5-7 minutes (4x5 enlarged to 16x20 - including two filter exposures and some burning in) for the results I get.

8. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your answers

I will look for a 40ccy for my cold light, as most of my neg are developed for it. and I put back some miles davis or fela kuti songs in my lab

total exposure time of 5-7 minutes
    That's quite a long exposure as my Platinum print but I may appreciate this way of work. Should give it a try

best

9. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I 've jsut check the Ilford PDf and find interesting information about recalculating time when using cold light head with 40y filter . and also how change the cntrast with the use of the cold light head.
    Thanks again

10. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an Aristo V54 cold light head in a Beseler. 8X10 printing times (from 4X5) run about 3 swconds. I mad a set of exposures using a calibrated step wedge fromStouffer, increments of half a stop, and found that I get a full range of contrast, including 5, according to the numbers in Steve Anchell's book on VC paper. This with Ilford MG fiber paper. I use a rheostat Aristo sells to attenuate the light; to ge the 3-4 second exposure above I cut the light 21/2 stops from f5.6. So I am delighted with this setup.