What's wrong with my film? it has white spots... does it have film-pox?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by StoneNYC, Mar 6, 2013.

1. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey guys, so... I've developed my first roll of Efke100 and it has all these little white spots... ignore the image I just cropped an area that showed a good amount, they are all over every frame... what's going on?

Any help would be welcome, thanks!

Efke100-crop.jpg

~Stone

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Processing error, possibly foreign body splatter while the film was wet. Inspect the film edgewise to see if there are particles stuck to it. I've never used that film. What was the developer and how was it mixed? Being white on the positive image the spots would be caused by something that blocked the light. You might try cleaning the film with something like PEC 12, refix and rewash. Be sure to dry it in a dust-free environment.
    That's the best I can come up with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

3. karl

karl Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Welcome to Efke. You've got to take the good with the bad. I do occasionally get sheets that have similar issues. It always seems excessive to be just dust on my end of things. So I assume it's some production issue or something that happened in the film dryer at my lab. You like spotting, don't you?

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this 120?

5. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This is 127 dated to expire in 2015

An thanks other poster, I assumed maybe it was just an "efke" ™ but wasn't sure lol

It's the stuff freestyle still has on tap.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

6. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Others have said its probably an efke affect and I tend to believe that, my process hasn't changed at all and I'm VERY careful about processing.

It's developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 11:30 minutes. 1 minute 30 seconds longer than the massive dev chart, I did this because its often wrong by a minute for my tastes when it comes to Rodinal.

Thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had this with the one roll of Efke 127 film I have ever used - about six months ago. I had it developed professionally and that lab has never let me down before so I have been blaming Efke.

8. jlpape

jlpape Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Do you use tap water or distilled to mix your chemicals? I seem to remember getting some defects on my negatives prior to switching to distilled. Never really knew if the tap water was to blame, but with the distilled I have never seen an issue.

9. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked at the OP's gallery! (see it's good to have a few images up!).....And they are experienced...
    My first thought might have been old camera being used without a thorough cleaning, but in this case the film sounds suspect... unless did you use a recently acquired unclean camera?

Thanks for the heads up about Efke issues.... lower price isn't worth this kind of trouble.

Edit...
    I am dyslexic in numbers and tones...
    ... yep black threads ruining skies in 4x5 prints from negatives...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dirty old cameras generally show the dirt mostly on the first few frames (yeah, been there) and will show as black on the print (the dirt stops the emulsion being exposed). That dirt would be washed off in development. White on the print means dirt on the film after exposure - or faulty emulsion. My thought is that it is spots where the silver halide in the emulsion has been sensitised during manufacture, perhaps by static.

11. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's Efke... there is always great change for defective film.
    Even with sheet film, in one box can contain lot of defective sheet along good ones.
    With luck, you get box full of prime stuff.

When i started using efke, i got perfect film, loved the tones and bought more. Exposed many sheets during a trip and when developing, found out that almost all sheets had bandings, blotches, etc...

12. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My EFKE IR film had the same problem. Didn't buy any more EFKE because of that.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks guys, yes all the frames were the same, it didn't just happen at the beginning of the film and was very similar throughout the roll. The camera isn't dirty, just the front element is bent out of alignment so part of the image on the left side is out of focus on each image which is a separate issue.

I always use the same water and system, no variation. It is a built in filter in the sink system. I developed 4 rolls in the past 4 days and this was the only roll.

I'm certain it's efke :sad:

Oh well... Thanks for confirming it guys.

Anyone want a camera project? The glass is really nice and once the bellows "tilt" issue is fixed I just don't feel like working on it.

~Stone

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so it's Efke'd up?

15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hahahaha!!!! I think (especially since they went under) that this is a great new phrase to start using whenever your film emulsion has issues... hehe

That shot was so Efke'd up! :cool::munch: