What's your photografic issue 2011?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Frank Chambers, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Frank Chambers

Frank Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I'm new to APUG and would like to thank all you guys: great forum, keep the analog spirit alive! I am living in Berlin, Germany and shoot some 35mm analog (and digital) Nikons, two very old Pentax too as well as a Mamiya RZ67 Pro.

I would like to start with a question and if you like to answer, great!

What's your most common photographic issue this year - so far? Well, I have to say I'm fixed some kind to high contrasts. Bright sunlight in a dark wood or something like that. And, the analog equipment and results are by far superior to digital! I knew that before, but I am mostly fixed on this self chosen topic this year and it gave me some great experiences.

So, what's your photographic issue 2011?

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank - hello and welcome to APUG. My biggest photo issue is trying to find time to get out and photograph. So just about any subject matter interests me.

3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My issue is not being able to afford more equipment.

4. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Frank!

My biggest issue is to stop worrying about trying to make perfect pictures! I recently have been looking at the work of the great Japanese photographer Daido Moriyama. All my life I have been so selective about what I shoot because I was just trying to be too careful to make perfectly composed and technically perfect pictures. And then I come across a shooter like Moriyama, and just the idea to just go out and shoot more and stop worrying feels so liberating!

5. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Frank!

My biggest issue.... TIME! Too many photo ideas... not enough time to make them all happen.

6. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Frank - welcome to APUG! My biggest issue at the moment is not having a darkroom to print in -- I find I become a much more intuitive (and hopefully better) photographer when I've been looking at my own work with a more critical eye. I also live in a fairly standard, boring Japanese city and it's hard to find inspiration to go out and shoot -- I need to break out of the box and get the creative juices flowing again.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Frank and welcome to APUG!. Like others my biggest issue is time.

Jeff

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome.

My photographic focus this year has been trying to catch up with today's digital technology. It is a necessary evil, but I am trying to make the most of it.

9. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not really an issue, this year I will begin using, and processing, colour negatives. I just received yesterday the last bits of equipments (flasks, acetic acid) and now I only need to go out taking pictures, with a negative attitude :wink:

10. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be setting up my first darkroom soon and learning how to print! With regards to photography itself, I plan to shoot more 4x5 with my Crown Graphic, especially color negative. A big C-41 negative can be a beautiful thing indeed.

11. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My main issue is finding subjects which interest me, I live in London, but street photography does not interest me. I like landscapes, nature, and travel photos, not much of that going around here.

12. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apug is a fun place to learn and share.
    I will have to vote for the "time" issue. Never enough time. Even while on vacation the other week I ended up pulling out the M2 rangefinder more than the Tachihara because there was so many places we tried to fit in. so even on holiday there was time restrictions on using the view camera.

Lee

13. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My biggest issue is finding a way to make money out of this thing...

14. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mine is to get beyond my medical condition and getting strong enough to get back outside with enough strength to carry my MF format system and Meastro tripod like I did 20 years ago. High hopes, I know. Maybe settle for carrying the system or even just getting time and well enough to go a shootig with the Leica.

15. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Deutsch? By "issue" were you looking for something like Fach or Thema? Oder meinst du etwas wie "problem"?

My issue is finding time to do it all.

My theme continues to be archeology.

16. stavrosk

stavrosk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My issue is to be able to find a Fuji Frontier scanner so I can operate it myself.

17. Frank Chambers

Frank Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well it is the same, it's not?

Time is the most important thing concentrating on an issue and there is no matter if it is a problem, a topic or a personal challenge. Therefore, I mentioned my contrast issue, that's all together, at least for me.