When did FP4 become FP4+?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by BetterSense, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an old box of FP4 with no expiration that I can find. Since it's regular FP4 and not FP4 PLUS, then I should be able to figure out how young it's not, right?

2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    20 years ago, roughly.

3. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most of the other film it came with expired in the late 80s, so that sounds about right. What are the odds it's still shootable? I'll test it when I get a chance.

4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its very shootable.

I shot some non+ HP5 that was that old with a 2 stop push in processing, worked very well, except a couple of the frames had 90 ft cats in the middle of my wide angle street night photos.. seems like it was used.. it was given to me with some other film in 2008 when I was overseas.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back then Ilford used a letter/number code that indicated the date of manufacture it was always an over printing on the label/box, so something like E74 meant 1974.

Ian

6. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    >>>What are the odds it's still shootable?
    Coincidentally only last night I developed a roll of FP4 (no Plus) from about 1990 (I'd have to look again at the can to be sure of the expiry date) only last night. I found this sealed 100ft roll in a rubbish skip a few years ago (whilst looking for somewhere to sleep for the night!) I use it occasionally for non-critical purposes and it's still surprisingly good. The base fog is increased, but not to the point where it's really a problem. Looking at the negs, the fog looks far worse than the way it actually manifests itself in the printing process. With a little bit of experimenting with contrast/filters it's perfectly usable. I rate it at 100ASA and develop as normal. Of course, how your film has been stored over its life will have a bearing on its usability - I've no idea how mine spent its days before I rescued it!
    Best wishes,
    Steve

7. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mine says "10BB11005"

8. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. 1905. :D

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That'll be the emulsion/batch number, there was usually a one letter two digit code as well. This was used on all Ilford products, film, developers, raw chemicals.

Ian

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Based on your story and the era, probably on the streets, living under cardboard looking at the old posters saying Labour Isn't Working and asking passers-by near an underground station if they had any spare developer and fixer.:D

You were just in time

pentaxuser

11. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only flaw in what you say is the underground station bit - we're still struggling with the concept of horseless carriages around here!

Checked the date on the can and it's September 1990.

Steve