When did LUMINOS become KENTMERE??

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PHOTOTONE, Oct 23, 2007.

1. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is just because I like the history of things. At what period did Luminos papers become Kentmere??

I am assuming that Luminos was an American distributor that had Kentmere private label paper.

I have some Luminos sheet film that was sourced from Belgium (Gevaert.I think)...so they weren't just marketing Kentmere products.

Whatever happened to the brand "Luminos"?

Just curious.

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the papers have always been Kentmere, but for a while they assumed the label Luminos in certain markets.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kentmere has been in business for 100 years. Luminos was just an American distributor, and when they stopped distributing photographic papers (I think they still distribute papers for inkjet printers), Kentmere USA became the distributor.

4. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Correct. Luminos never made anything, to my knowledge. They were the original US distributor for Kentmere, and after Luminos B&W went belly-up, the Kentmere USA entity was formed to take over distribution.

5. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luminos papers where made by Kentmere from about 12 to 15 years ago when their previous manufacturer stopped making paper for them. At that time I worked on the Luminos stand at Photo East in New York which is how I got to know about the Kentmere connection. I believe Luminos sold out to Hannemulle (sp) about 5 years ago which was when they also stopped supplying photographic paper.