When is Ilfords special order date?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Joey Anchors, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to place orders for 2x3 sheet film to use with my Graflex Century and was wondering if anyone knows when the the special film ordering takes places at Ilford?

2. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Joey,

The annual ULF run usually starts in April when the product lists are issued ( and when representations can be made for 'special' sizes to be made, for sheet film items only HARMAN commit to make any item even if the order is only for one ) orders are usually placed by our end user customers with our ULF re-seller partners up to the end of June, then our ULF re-seller partners place the orders with our Distributors, the orders are manufactured at our factory during late July / early August, then shipped to our worldwide distributors usually arriving in North American markets by early September. Please note, due to the costs incurred, this annual run requiries to be sanctioned and approved by our Board of Directors, this is scheduled for discussion at the end of January.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

3. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope to participate in the next one :smile:

4. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon,
    Thank you for the great info. I love Pan F + in 120 form and would very much like to get 2x3 sheets of it. Looking forward to hearing more details.

5. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Joey,

PAN F+ in sheet film is often asked for.....But whilst 'never say never' I cannot imagine the circumstances where it would ever be made.

I have commented on this many times, we have very, very flexible manufacture, we can actually coat lower volume items at ultra high quality more efficiently than 'probably' any other photographic production coating machine.

BUT the lowest volume of coated material would generate approx 193,600 sheets of 5 x 4 material, along with the waste from scale ups, it would be in the region of 4 to 5 times ( I did the math and recall that number ) the cost of FP4+ or HP5+ not allowing for waste..that costing also does not take into account any 'write off' for material that would go out of date and that would need to be destroyed, and out of date it would most certainly go before the usable date.

Sorry.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

6. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I know is Pan F + is my favorite film to use for all my black and white work (which is all I do). If I need higher speed film I shoot Delta 100 or 400, but I like to work with low speed film 95% of the time.

Joey

7. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If it's 2x3 you're after in Pan-F, why not cut your own from 120? 2" is less than the width of a roll of 120 so it is possible to cut 120 down to the size you're after. I'd recommend building some sort of a jig first though to get the size you want,and there will be some waste too I suppose.

8. PCGraflex

PCGraflex Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would just get a graflock back and a couple of roll film backs for your Century. Less hassle and you then have more choices of films.

9. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So you would need about a 1000 customers ordering 200 sheets avg each, Simon? are the numbers for any special orders - 4x5 or 120 the same?

Sent from Tap-a-talk

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking on Freestyle yesterday and they showed 2x3 FP4+ and HP5+ in stock. I have HP5+ in my cart, but haven't actually placed the order yet.

No PanF, but I'm grateful for those 2 choices.

11. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon.. I have an orphaned 3x4 speed that I have been cutting film for, when not using the now discontinued Efke 3x4, for years. Getting low on that, and thought instead of cutting HP5+, of making a special order this year. Having never done this before, have no idea of cost or how its done! How does it compare to the cost of the standard price of the HP5+ 4x5? (Same, higher, lower?)

Will you have a location on your website... for what will be available and the cost?

Can you order it directly,or do you have to go though a local distributor, such as Freestyle?

12. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You place your order with a participating re-seller. You'll have a window to do so. Keep checking this forum for an announcement.
    You can see the list of films and the retailers from last year here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=137
    The announcement last year was on the 10th of May.