When it rains....

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Sep 5, 2009.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sheesh! Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had pretty much successfully limited myself to 4x5. Oh, sure, there was that year long affair with the 5x7 B&J or two...but, I was content with 4x5....until a couple of weeks ago that is....

So, I bought an 8x10 Deardorff...just because...well, becasue I always thought they were cool...I couldn't afford it and I certainly did not need it...but there it was...so I bought it.

Then, a few days later, an BIG old Century Studio camera in pieces appeared on my doorstep. It was all taken apart and...dusty! It had suffered some twenty years or more in an attic and the last three years in a V.W. microbus!

Now, I've just "Won" an 8x10 Kodak D2 outfit! I swear...I bid early, I bid low...and still...I won!

When it rains, it pours.

placed an order for 8x10 film with Freestyle on Friday....what am I to do?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you load the film into 8x10 holders, you shoot it, you develop it.... :rolleyes:

So what lenses do you have for 8x10?

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So much for takin' it easy, huh? Sell a Brownie to make up for it.

4. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Your doomed... DOOMED, I say!!

5. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see the occasional ugly as sin 8x10 camera cheap. Same for holders. X-ray film is sinfully cheap. I own a tripod and head that will suffice for 8x10. I have a Jobo print tank and Harrison tent to handle the developing.

The major stumbling block would seem to be a lens. Forget the plural of lens with regards to 8x10. There are the occasional 210mm to 250mm beauties with equally dear prices. 12" to 14" classics. Not cheap. What are the bargain grade lenses suitable for 8x10?

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the best bargains for 8x10, IMHO are the process lenses. They are big and bulky but also very good and with more than ample coverage. I also have recently had luck with some very nice early century bausch & lomb anastigmats. I scored one recently that was on a 8x10 poco field camera.

7. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That might be the most economical way to "ease" in to 8x10: find a bargain camera+obscure lens combination.

8. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    And then always lurking on the new horizon is: 7x17, 8x20, 12x20, 20x24. Should you just buy lenses, tripod and "things", that will work on the 8x10, or should you face the inevitable and buy lens that will cover larger, tripods that will carry heavier? You can always say, “oh I won't go there”. Or, “I am just buying the bigger lens for movement or the bigger tripod to stop movement”. What ever the ploy, be prepared, because they are out there waiting.

A willing victim,

John Powers

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True. The obsession tends to progress along the following cycle, roughly:

(1) I have a very nice 4x5 camera, let me get a lens for it.

(2) Oh here is a lens that covers 8x10... let's buy it...

CHORUS: Oh what a shame to waste all that coverage....

(3) ... so I'll buy an 8x10...

(4) I should get a lens that covers 8x10 well. Wait, here's one that covers 11x14...

REPEAT CHORUS...

(5) I really should get an 11x14 worthy of that coverage... yes, why not, the film is actually cheaper per unit area and I can quit enlarging...

(6) I hear that there are lenses that can cover 20x24....

REPEAT CHORUS...

...etc. ad nauseum...

10. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    :smile:

well, the Century studio camera that the former keeper dumped on me came with an unloved Goerz celor...which I'm actually looking forward to shooting.

The only lens I have that properly covers 8x10 is the 300mm f/8.5 Fujinon-C. I have a modern 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W too. It appears to cover straight on and so will probably press that into service from time to time as well. Really want to get a 14 inch Ektar but, that isn't in the cards now.

Hopefully, somebody will buy the Speed Graphic I have offered for sale and I can recover from the "eBay Ooops!"...and maybe even afford a bellows eventually :smile:

11. eworkman

eworkman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    ...afford a bellows..
    Shoot, MAKE a bellows- Freestyle has the fabric, might cost ya $20
    Your first try might be UGLY- mine is, but it's light tight.
    The next bellows will be better- easier cuz it's not gonna be tapered, for the 7x17 that's maybe half complete [see above].
    And did you see that lens Tracy Storer offered for only $500 !!! Convertible, covers 20x24 !!!

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try some 8x10 pinhole, it will amaze! And the lenses are amazingly inexpensive....

13. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    The 300 mm Fujinon-C was my first lens for the 8x10. It is a great lens for the format.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I think this is where you stand up and say "My name is __________ and I have a problem." All we need now is GAS pins to put on our lapels.

16. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the dark side. We have great big beautiful pieces of film!

I admit it. Sometimes I'm tempted to just back an 8x10 negative with a piece of white paper and frame it. Is that so wrong?

:wink:

17. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

" . . . the film is actually cheaper per unit area and I can quit enlarging . . . "

Does Faith Walrath (and others) know about this line of interesting logic?

18. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Faith:

11x14" HP5+ costs 4.3 cents per square inch;
    4x5" HP5+, on the other hand, costs 4.7 cents per square inch.

4.7 cents is considerably more than 4.3 cents.

(Mind you, the best bargain of all may be the arista-II ortho lith film in 20x24" size, which costs a mere $3.79/sheet, or less than a penny per square inch. It's practically wallpaper....)

19. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dude!!!

Let's get together and I'll let you use the 12 inch commercial ektar I have (already mounted on a Deardorff lensboard). Alviso? Next weekend? (this weekend I have kids). Can also let you see what the 5x7 back does on the dorff. I have a 191 ektar lens for that.

tim in san jose

20. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

It's been over 100 deg and cloudless for weeks around here. A little rain sounds delightful. Raining 8x10s sounds even better! Enjoy that 'dorff! :D

21. srmcnamara

srmcnamara Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was expecting a thread about using our large format cameras in the rain!

Which I have done with my wooden field camera, praying all the while. Now if only it were raining 8x10s (While I'm safe under a proper roof, of course)

22. david_mizen

david_mizen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how does $100 for a complete ansco grey 5x7 sound i bid low bid early expecting to get out bid but nooooooo any way its complete with a standard back (which my first ansco does not have - its a slider which i find a bit bulky) lots of holders lens shutter (ilex no3) freight was a bit of a shock but .....

23. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Guilty up to step 5 ...

24. JCT

JCT Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, around here the backbeat to your song would be supplied by my long-suffering spouse hitting me with a tripod leg. He would likely add a line in between each stanza "and what will you sell FIRST?" :wink:

Then again the same guy is now trying to figure out how to get my latest acquisition (a beautiful 8-ft stainless sink) into our basement...

And by way of full disclosure, I have an 8x10 Deardorff that I bought on a bit of a whim as well-- well used in a professional studio with a surprise of 2 beautiful lenses thrown in. My best Craigslist score ever.

JT

25. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's where being married can be a good thing. At some point, there's a limit to how much they'll let you get away with.

Then again, my wife helped me build the 20x24 and has been pushing me to get some filmholders made up, so maybe it's a 50/50 shot.

26. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you have a very understanding wife:smile: