When should I use new fixer?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by marciofs, Dec 7, 2011.

1. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How long time a fixer dilution last for?
    Or, how many times should I use a dilution of fixer?

2. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  3. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thomas's reply was great (as usual). But, what about film? :confused:

4. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am talking about fixing the after developing the film...

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for film, you should us a separate fixer bath/s than prints
    do a clip test.... take an processed piece of your favorite film
    and see how long it takes to clear ( room lights on ) in your freshly mixed fix.
    fix your film for 2x that time ( half 1 bath half 2nd bath ) ... when your clear time
    becomes 2x the original # your first bath is spent, mix new, and number 2 becomes #1
    so your fresh bath is #2 ...

have fun

john

6. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    What I do for film is keep track of how many rolls I've run through the fixer. Then I discard it when it has reached half the manufacturers recommended capacity. For Iford Hypam which I use, this is 12 rolls per liter.

7. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    does anyone do a two bath fix on film? I could certainly see it for open tanks (dip and dunk) or for tray processing.

In fact, I'm wondering if moving to Thomas' method (which seems to be Ilford's recommendation for print developing) for all of my rapid fixer need would be the most reasonable option. As it is, I seem to err on the side of under-using fixer rather than approach exhaustion limits.

By the way, there are fixer test kits on the market, and if exhaustion is a concern you can certainly check your fixer strength before using it. You also want to filter (with filter paper) the fixer before putting it back into the bottle and before using it. Nobody is happy with silver deposits on film.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i use 2 baths for everything.

the problem with the fixer test kits is sometimes
    they are made for a specific fixer, and will give you a false reading.
    i use sprint speed fixer and when i use edwals hypo check it gives me a
    indication my fixer is exhausted when it isn't ...

the point of the 2 fixer baths is that the 1st one does all the work, and the 2nd one does "sloppy seconds"
    and if you use 2 baths, even if your first one is close to dead, #2 will completely fix the film or prints ..

YMMV

have fun!

9. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I didn't know that there is a number of times recommended from the company to use their fixers.

I didn't find this information on the bottle...

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What fixer are you using?

If it is Kodak Fix, the capacity information is shown on this table (along with a whole bunch of other good info).

If it is Ilford Rapid Fixer, the capacity information is shown on page 2 of this information document (24 rolls per litre of working solution at film strength).

I think it is a general rule of thumb that nowadays, the best source for a lot of technical information is the manufacturer's website.

11. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a hypo check, when using kodak fixer. A few drops to see if cloudy precipitate forms and stays.

At home I use ilford rapid fix and now currently hypam. I mark up to 24 rolls on 1L seltzer bottles.

I use a 2 fix setup, after the 1st bottle has had 24rolls in it, I dump and substitute with 2nd bottle. Then mix a fresh batch for bottle 2 again. I fix films for 3min each or 6 total in the rapid fix.

This gives me a wide and safe margin, without over fixing. I think the rapid fix can do more than 24rolls, plus sometimes I shoot 24exp or 12exp test rolls and still mark as if they were all 36exp.

Has worked well for me. If in doubt just make fresh fixer, shame to mess up film you take the time to shoot on something as cheap as fixer.

Hypam is like $25 for that huge 5L jug. Which you dilute down further. Kodak fix is like $6 for the gallon size. How much does your film cost? No brainer.