where can i get high quality LARGE (10'x7') prints made?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Puma, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I have a customer who wants me to shoot a specific shot and print it to fit a giant wall. I cannot print color nor can I print anywhere near this size. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done? What should I expect to pay? Will I have to convert this to a digital file?

Thank you,

Puma

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact Bob Carnie hear on APUG. He and his lab (Elevator Digital) in Toronto do large prints, and he can advise on the options.

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Palm Press, in Concord, MA may be able to help you. I've seen very large prints done for MOMA by them.

4. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might also try contacting Bob Carnie at Elevator. He does custom printing for a lot of big names.

5. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Our APUG Brother Stephen Frizza, is the owner of Lighthouse Lab in Australia.
    It would be helpful if we knew where you are located.

Ron

6. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mid America, USA. I sent out a few emails but haven't heard anything yet.

7. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if Dwayne's Photo is capable of handling that.
    Give them a call and see what's possible.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Ron

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you ask me the most difficult part of an analog project of this proportion is splicing the individual 50" pieces together. I think this is now a lost art, unless Bob C. can do it.

9. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If he can't nobody can

10. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This is too big for my shoes, if the neg is 35mm and wanting to go to 10 ft we are looking at about 120 x mag which is just going to flare out on the enlarger,
    scanning and printing on inkjet I could do it in two panels but once again buyer beware the mag is really stretching it.

There fore I would not be able to do it as an enlarger print, Kevin my business partner is putting a price together for you for scan and ink print.

There are probably a lot of shops that could do it the digital route without the long distance shipping, but I do not know where you are located exactly, you are also looking to find a good shop to mount as well and usually places like Elevator prefer to only mount the work they produce , any problems with the mount and the redo of the print is a easy fix, rather than the photographer going out and getting a new print made usually at their cost.

Bob

11. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Due to the inherent problems of printing this size, and I was pretty sure that this would be a tall order, the customer now wants something completely different. Of course this is the way customers are. Sorry I couldn't spread the love around. Now I'm shooting seventy prints and framing them individually of the same subject so at least I've still got the job and will make about the same as I would have charged to facilitate the large print. Thanks to everyone for the insight and sorry it didn't work out for Elevator.

-Puma