Where can I see a carbon print in LA area

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by tim k, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find myself in the Corona, area near LA for a few days. I have a little bit of time on my hands here and would love to have a look-see at some carbon prints. I have read about them and the process sounds interesting, but would like to have a look see before I make the leap.

Anyone have a suggestion where there might be a gallery that could accommodate me.

Thanks

2. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tim, to my knowledge there is no galleries showing any carbon work in the LA area. Looks like I need to get off of my ass and do something about that. I work in outside sales and travel quite a bit so send me a PM and I should be able to meet you somewhere. BTW I will warn you in advance when you see carbon prints in the flesh there is no going back. I've been teaching and producing carbon prints for 2 years now and it is the only way I print. I've got a nice portfolio of image you can look at. So let me know.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Talk to Per Volquartz, in Pasadena. He occasionally teaches workshops in this process.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Andrew Glover (dagor 77) email dagor77 at earthlink.net look at Andrew's prints on the alternative photography website. Go to galleries and choose carbon or choose artist and choose Andrew. He lives in LA.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, I can comment on this. Per and I did a workshop in February of this year. He taught the Platinum workshop and I did two days of carbon transfer. Per has asked me to give him some private workshops in carbon transfer at his home in Pasadena. We just have to get our schedules together.

As far as Andrew actively printing in carbon I'm not sure. Carbon transfer is all I do when it comes to printing.

Jim

6. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2F and Dave, thanks I will do just that.
    Jim, thanks for the offer to meet. Don't think I can make it up that far with my schedule at this time, but perhaps sometime soon.

7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tim, I can meet you somewhere. I'm on the road all day with the day job. I've got accounts all over the LA area. Let me know and I can show you some prints. How long are you in town?

Jim

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mr. Fitzgerald,

I was aware that Mr. Volquartz himself did not teach the carbon portion of the workshop in question, but I should have made it very clear in my first post of the thread. My apologies. By "He occasionally teaches workshops in this process," I meant to say, "He occasionally hosts workshops in this process."

9. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim,
    I'm probably heading back home on Thursday or Friday. My problem with a meet up is that we came over for a family medical emergency, and we're running back and forth to doctors and our schedule is been changing daily, if not hourly. Even in the morning our schedule is not set, until the Doctor phone call happens.
    Tim

10. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tim, not a problem and I understand. I just went through what you are going through and fully understand. I hope all turns out well for you and your family.

Jim

11. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    No apology needed I just wanted to make it clear that Per and I were working together. It takes a lot of time to devote ones self to carbon printing. Per will get there in time. Sorry if my post came off the wrong way.

Jim

12. Try the Getty Museum. They may have some vintage/historical examples on display in their photography division.

http://www.getty.edu/

13. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andrew thanks I will look into that.

14. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wanted to thank everybody for their input. Especially Jim for the offer to meet up. Unfortunately due to time restraints I was unable to succeed.

I am now back in Arizona, and would like to pose the same question. Does anybody have any idea where I might see in person, a real carbon print, somewhere in Arizona?

Thanks again

15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about the Center for Creative Photography at UA in Tucson?

Back in the the mid 80's I lived right near the place, which was housed in a little building next to the campus. I about haunted that place. It was possible but often difficult due to the cramped conditions to view items from their archives. I understand they have a very nice facility now.

16. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just came back from the Center, yes they have a very nice building now. However they do need to tear something down and put in a normal parking lot. They did not have a carbon on display, but I did get the name of "the" person to contact to find out the real skinny.

Thx, the search continues