Where can one buy 'cover boxes' ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by gr82bart, Aug 10, 2008.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know where I can buy a couple cover boxes with dippers?

These are the wooden boxes used in wet plate processes that hold either the silver or fixer baths, have a stand that hold it in place at a 45 degree angle or so, and have a plastic 'dipper' that allows one to slide the glass plate in and out of the box easily.

I have been using trays, but I'd like to get these boxes. I've checked the obvious suspects - Photographer's Formulary, B&S, Freestyle, etc... - no avail.

Thanks, Art.

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  4. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RobertP and Jerevan,

Thanks so much for the leads.

Star Camera Company was the source of equipment for NYC fashion photographer Michael Mazzeo, who was a former student of France Scully Osterman and John Coffer.

Steve Silipigni's equipment is recommended by Quinn Jacobson, but I was given a different e-mail addy for him at:ssilipigni@frontiernet.net. I'll send an e-mail to both addresses. He also appears to make a portable darkroom to process one's ambrotypes in the field. Check it out here: http://bryanhiott.com/ scroll about half way down.

I was also told Photographer's Formulary makes them custom in about 2 weeks, but I would have to call them.

In fact I am going contact all three and compare prices and construction. Thanks again.

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  5. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Art, I own both, a Star 11x14 tailboard camera, silver box and fixer box. I also own the largest Silipigni darkbox with silver box he has made to date.( will do up to 12x20 plates) Silipigni's products are definitely superior quality. Coffer now recommends them himself. Though they do cost a little more. Silipigni will start making wet plate cameras in 2009. Here's a pic of my darkbox. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11642&stc=1&d=1218391875

Attached Files:

6. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Art, Both of those email addresses for Silipigni will work. Steve is actually working with Mark Osterman on the new camera designs. Which is convenient since they are both in Rochester.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  7. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got some prices from Steve if anyone else is interested:
    All looks very well built

Regards, Art.

Attached Files:

8. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a great chat with Steve a few nights ago. I think I just bought my own Christmas present! Anyway, Steve launched a new website: http://www.blackartwoodcraft.com/

Regards, Art.

9. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art -

You could build your own. Not THAT difficult... :wink: So far I have completed a plate rack, polishing vice and I've cobbled together one tank but I need to make the slip box for it yet. Also have about 2/3 complete a taliboard camera. All sized for 1/2 plate. Seems like a nice "starter" size.

I bought Otto Dipold's books (he sells them through eBay) and took bits and pices from his designs to make my own stuff. Also taken the time, as you have I see, to scope out what else is out there and look closely at the posted images. With apologies to Tom Leher, "Plagerize! Plagerize! Why do you think the good Lord made your eyes?" Seriously, I'm trying to make all my equipment myself (lens will probably be the exception) by taking the best features I find and combining them.

Or I might have a bon fire if it doesn't work out...

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hard to build anything on a plane or in the airport. :D Plus I barely have a life as it is.

Regards, Art.

11. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What, they have a problem with you hauling a tablesaw and box of chisels in your carry-on?

On a semi-related note, have you played with Google SketchUp? I've been using it to help me get dimensions and stuff right before I start cutting. Can't say for sure if has cut down the scrap generation but it might be something you could use to get stuff ready to build back at home.

Good luck with assembling your wet-plate kit. I made the decision that I was going to make as much of mine as possible. Might not cost any less and is definitely taking a long time but having fun doing it! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looks a lot like the flame from a small alcohol lamp. :wink:

12. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art -

You probably already know about this one, but quite often stores like "World Market" have stoppered bottles that would work well for collodion and varnish pouring bottles. And on occasion I've seen small sized glass trays there. Never measured them to see if they are compatible with any plate sizes though. Inventory seems completely random.

13. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh people! I've been away for the longest time and I just opened the package from Steve Silipigni. These cover boxes are gorgeous. I ordered the dark stained pine ones (I think - I don't really recall any more); regardless they are well designed and well made. What a fantastic Halloween treat! Now the trick is to make some decent ambrotypes ...

Regards, Art.