Where Do All The Darkslides Go?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Barry06GT, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Barry06GT

Barry06GT Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Might I presume that all film backs come with a darkslide.

If my presumption is correct, then where do all the darkslides go? :confused:

Do darkslides go to the same place that the one sock ends up?

I mean, there are many used film backs for sale, but most do not have a darkslide.

2. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The darkslide spirit in the sky maybe?

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For unrefined cameras that don't require the darkslide to remove the back they probably get permanently ditched.
    The one for my camera floats between this dimension and some parallel to the sock dimension.
    Usually, I can snatch it back into existance here when I really need it.

Often the need to change backs in mid roll was rare. Thus the darkslides were nusance items. For those who don't buy their own film, it's sometimes easier to advance through the roll and reload than carry another back.

4. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They ran off with the missing socks from your laundry.

5. dentkimterry

dentkimterry Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They go into the darkslide holder on the rear of the Hasselblad back.........................and then disappear from there.................

Terry

6. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I expect darkslides are just easy to lose, being a removal and relatively small item.

Or maybe when a film back is left alone, the darkslides weave a cocoon then emerge as lightslides.

7. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luke! - beware of the darkslide.

8. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I seem to remember a story about the darkslide graveyard --------

9. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I don't think that they run off with the socks. Socks are the juvenile form of wire hangars. The socks you think are missing have simply grown up and become adults that reside in your closets.

10. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The darkslides go to the same place the boats and planes that get lost in the Bermuda Triangle go. According to an old Sci-Fi Channel movie that I saw when i was a kid, that place is known as Atlantis. Also according to that movie, it could possibly return to this realm of existance through Stonehenge. I'd advise you scout around there to see if any turn up :D

Now I'm tempted to find out the name of that movie to see if it still comes on Sci-Fi... The only think keeping me from it is most of the Sci-Fi channel movies arent that great :/

11. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been told the rings of Saturn are made up of lost airline luggage, but there are multiple rings and they're not easy to check ...

12. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    So I won an auction on the evil website a while back, and what I though was an auction for 10 4x5 film holders was actually an auction for 10 4x5 darkslides for film holders. (This was MANY years back when not all auctions had pictures.) I was really sort of embarrassed, and after re-reading the auction description when I received my box of darkslides and seeing that I really did just buy the things without the film holders, I knew then and there that somewhere in the world were 5 naked film holders, and that I must dedicate my remaining days to finding and reuniting the wayward darkslides and film holders.... but after a while I just chucked them in my junk box and forgot about the whole thing.

13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's the thing indeed: ever since eCommerce took off, people started splitting things in separate components, to sell those separately.

We can do something about it, by refusing to even consider buying magazines and holders that are sold without at least one darkslide (or cameras sold without viewfinder and focussing screen, etc.)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If someone only owns one back, the darkslide can get set aside and lost.

OR

The darkslide wanders on to the deleted thread!

Steve

16. Theo43

Theo43 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    During the night (when it's dark, eh?) they undergo gradual sub-atomic transmutation that eventually results in becoming Dark Matter; this explains why the universe full of it.
    Ted

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I counted 26 socks in my collection and I can't make one pair with any of them.

Steve.

18. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, it is right next door to the cable release mausoleum.

Sandy King

19. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Good morning, Steve;

The young lady who has become the woman in my life in recent years (Well, yes, I have been recycled. Ecology is not really new.) does have one unusual characteristic: She has a remarkable talent for misplacing a sock when doing laundry. At this point, I have about forty (40) single lonesome socks in the bottom drawer. I have no idea where the other one has gone. In all of my prior years, I never totaled that many single socks. I have no intention of replacing her, but I have noticed this one unusual feature.

Then there is the point that she does seem to tolerate my known addiction to photographic equipment.

And, in anticipation of the possible loss or misplacement of a dark slide, I did purchase a couple of spares for the 4 by 5 film holders. Still need to get a couple for the 6 by 6 film backs.

20. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would think that they don't get lost very often since there's a holder for it. 99% of the time mine is in either one or two places.

21. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Han Solo:
    Chewy, prepare the navcomputer to make the jump to lightspeed. We need to make the jump into hyperspace. The Empire has darkslides hold up here.

Lando Calrissian: Not to worry Han, the Millennium Falcon is the fastest hunk 'o junk in the galazy.

22. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got two backs for my RB67 that were advertised sans darkslide. B&H sells them new but they are a pretty penny indeed.

23. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So THAT'S where the damn thing went!!!!

24. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darkslides are the larval stage of camera bags that you don't use anymore. Bill Barber

25. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thinking about it a bit, it struck me that this isn't a difficult question at all.
    All my darkslides go where they are supposed to go: in the film magazines they belong to.

26. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Attach your darkslide to a lens cap then you can lose both at the same time - more efficient that way.