Where do all the holes go?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Loose Gravel, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

35mm film is 35mm wide and the image is only 24mm high. Therefore there is 11mm where those sprocket holes go. I realize how we inherited 35mm film from the movie biz and why the movie cameras need the sproket holes. I want to know where all those little punch outs (chad?) go from the film. Do they get used? Fed to livestock? Recycled? Sold as microdots to James Bond? There must be an ocean of those little suckers somewhere.

LG

2. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know where they go...but wouldn't they make great confetti? I want some!

3. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very Small Cameras.

tim in san jose

4. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Movie cameras need the holes so they can align consecutive frames exactly. Occasionaly still cameras are modified to do pin registration so that frames can be reliably positioned (for example for special effects shots where stills from multiple cameras are combined, as in "Bullet time" effects).

828 Bantam film is 35mm stock without the perforations, in a minutre roll film format. Kodak pushed it for years - bigger negative, same size camera. It should have been a no-brainer, but it never caught on.

re- what happens to the holes... I often wonder where schools get those bits of string that you use to tie together exam scripts! Is there a factory somewhere full of people cutting string into 3" lengths?

Ian

5. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

There is a special area in Yucca Mountain reserved for sprocket holes but I really wonder what happens to film notches.

6. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Imagine the silver that could be extracted from several years of production runs

7. Dr.Kollig

Dr.Kollig Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The mistery of ...

Most of them are now used in digital p&s cameras, they react with the dirt etc. from the users hands to form a negative and than get pushed via USB into the computer!

Wolfram