Where do I get a 6x7 projector?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by polyglot, Oct 22, 2009.

1. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I have an RZ. Been shooting mostly B&W with it, but the Velvia is oh so nice. I can and have been scanning it, but I want to project some images and blow some socks off at the local camera club... but I can't seem to find a decent+affordable projector.

There's one on eBay right now asking almost $1000 that seems to be some monstrous 750W thing for lighting up the side of a building. Are there normal-room-sized projectors (say, for a 50" screen) readily available second-hand? Where (I'm in AU but KEH etc are OK) ?

I'm also considering building one. Would it be sufficient to get a nice (high colour-temp) bright bulb, heat-absorbing glass, condenser from a 6x7 enlarger and an old lens from an RB? I can take care of the mechanical and electrical stuff. 35mm projectors seem to have lenses around the 90mm f/2.5 range, which means that a 180mm f/4.5 ought to give me the same image size and probably enough brightness. I was thinking of using an automotive-style 5600K HID lamp or two, but I don't know if their spectrum is continuous. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woof! 6X6 projectors were uncommon, 6X7 more so. I've worked in the biz 30 yrs & have never seen one in the flesh.
    There were many longer lenses for the Kodaks by aftermarket vendors.
    What about starting with a Lantern slide projector & modify that?

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    750W is not monstrous at all for 6x7! 250W is normal for 35mm. But the area of a 6x7 slide is 4.5 times as large. You need much more light to project it with the same brightness (too busy now to find out how much more). I use a 1000W Goetschmann G67 projector for my 6x7 slides. This is the smallest Goetschmann model. Here is a link to the producer. It is perfectly suitable for a living room. I used to project on a 1.5m2 screen but meanwhile changed to 2m2. 50" should be something like 1.3m2. 750W will be fine.

When I started projecting 6x7 slides, I used an old Leitz made Linhof 6x7 projector. I cannot recommend such an old projector because they are too dim. If you really want to impress your friends you need a more modern projector with an excellent lens. The Goetschmann comes with a Schneider-Kreuznach 150mm f2.8 lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't got one (don't have a slide projecor at all), but know the Goetschmann, and it is great.
    Big (and expensive) too!

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone! 1900 euro (projector plus lens) is right out for me at this point, no matter how lovely the Goetschmann is :sad:

Matt: I don't know what size that one is, but thanks for the link & PMs. I didn't know Mamiya was rebadging Cabin gear, so it might be worth throwing $10 at it just to see.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would check what lamp the Cabin Projector takes and if it is still available.

8. nickstreme

nickstreme Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get an omega DII or similair and get a 6x7 holder.

9. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I already have an enlarger. Surely not bright enough to project an image for viewing by a crowd though...

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Mike Albans

Mike Albans Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Goetschmann G67-P projector with the Goetschmann Schnieder 150mm 2.8 lens given to me from an old friend who passed away. Contact me if anyone needs one.
    406-210-5976