Where do old Nikons go to die?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Robert Kerwin, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Robert Kerwin

Robert Kerwin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, it looks like my old Nikon FA finally bit the dust. Back in 1999, it developed a problem where the camera would go completely dead after firing the shutter. Sometimes I was able to get it to work again by switching the shutter speed dial to one of the two mechanical shutter settings, or by removing and replacing the batteries. A CLA seemingly fixed the problem, but every once in a while the same thing happened.

I replaced it with an F100 in 1999 soon after it started having problems, but recently I decided to pull the FA out again. After some tests, it looked like everything was going well, but before long, it quit, same problem. This time I wasn’t able to get it working again no matter what I did (and yes, I put in fresh batteries).

So, I’m curious what others do with cameras that are irreparable. I was thinking of offering it on eBay as a “parts camera,” as I hate to just toss it in the trash. Any thoughts?

- Robert

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A parts camera is unfortunately going to be a camera which is completely worn out, has completely worn out in a typical way and does not therefore have any parts which anyone might want which are not worn out. I have a small display on a shelf in my office of 10 worn-out cameras - any that won't fit on the shelf or have no visual appeal, I throw out - worn-out cameras are sadly absolutely worthless.

3. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, selling them for parts is a good idea, expecially if cosmetic conditions are good. Some people only needs the leatherette or the shell, or the lens' bayonnet.

If you have a technician who always took good care of your gear, you may consider presenting it to him for spare parts. I usually do this with mine, as in turn I'm very glad when he pulls out a missing piece for one of my cameras, taken from someone elses' broken unit.

4. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

ebay it. you'll at least get a few bucks. someone out there is looking for a screw, or some other piece and will most likely grab it. just make sure you're clear that it is for parts only.

5. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They used to go in my equipment closet.

I had a pair of FAs, both with bad shutters. They could not be fixed as no replacements for the titanium shutters are available and no other shutter curtain will work. the cost of having a good shutter changed out from a used camera (with no guarantee of how long that one will last) was cost prohibitive.

I had a couple of other older Nikons with bad advance mechanisms. I bought them used off Ebay and they both broke after about a year. I basically got off the used SLR merry-go-round, traded my broken Nikons for some darkroom stuff at a swap meet and bought a new Bessa.

As far as what to do with a broken camera, offer it up on Ebay. Better to get $20-$40 for it as opposed too having another paper weight lying around.

6. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I send my "dead but good for parts" stuff to Carol Miller (I always ask if she wants it first). Something as simple as a wacky screw can often save the day...

7. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can always send it to me for my collection of non-functional cameras! :D:D:D

8. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To the bottom of the Merced river. :smile:

Seriously though, a Nikon FA that has worn out in the typical way is...well, typical. That said, giving it to your favorite repair shop is about as good idea as I've ever heard.

9. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not knocking Nikons. But like anything mechanical, they all break and wear out after so many shutter cycles and rolls of film.

10. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    List it on ebay, and describe it "mint condition, but I'm not a camera person and I don't know anything about cameras. No Returns." (and be sure to post a fuzzy photo) :D :D :D

(just kidding)

11. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    and add that it belonged to your late grandfather's cousin and you're selling it on behalf of his sister-in-law. THat will give your listing the authentic ebay feel.

12. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FA had a fine run, considering it was fairly primitive electronic camera by today's standards: twenty years for a 'prosumer' camera is pretty good. It's Pro brother F3 will run till the cockroaches take over.

I remember selling FAs way back when. In a pro-centric store, we did our best to talk serious folks into an F3. Like the F100 ( another fine 'prosumer' camera' ) it was excellent, but not nearly the bombproof pro camera folks thought of when they said Nikon.

13. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you still have your wood-burning pencil from Boy Scout days, in addition to Eric's eBay suggestions, you could add one sharp photo showing the subtle image of Jesus lightly burned into the covering of the back. :wink:

14. lkorell

lkorell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where do old Nikons go to die?

My closet....sob, sob, sniff sniff, I'm now mostly a Canon digital shooter, sob, sob....but wait a minute! During a very quiet time, I sneaked a Nikon F6 into the house, heh, heh...I could try a roll of film...sshhh, don't tell anybody. I think I'll just have to sleep with it under my pillow. It Lives!

Seriously, eBay the old thing. Somebody may need a part. If you need a replacement, an FM2N, F3, or for that matter any F series camera in good shape will outlast all others. I know...I have quite a few in my closet. :smile: All of the batteries are still good. Still hoping to shoot some film again. I guess like the shoe guys say..."Just Do It"

Lou

15. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    classic...