Where have you guys been all my life?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Cian, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Cian

Cian Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Man ohh man! Just found this site! WOW! I feel like I finally came home!

Been shooting film since '98 when I took my first nose dive into photography. The last few years, I've helped a few friends get into the craft, but they all embraced digital. They got won over by the gee-whiz factor. My shooting styles are different than my friends. Kinda hard to explain the slow finer approach with composition and exposure when they all seem to be interested in just clicking through frames as fast as they can and hope for the best. (sigh)

Anyway, it's nice to come across a forum dedicated to film based photography. For the record, I primarily shoot nature and scenics on Fuji slide film on Canon 35mm. (Although I will admit, for snapshots which involve people, I break out my digital gear - too many throwaways in my book.)

Thanks,
    Cian :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Welcome, Cian,

I don't know about all your life, but we've been here several years. Glad you found us.

Konical

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome! There are many good resources here, and the opportunity to forge some quality friendships as well..

- Randy

4. Cian

Cian Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to admit I learned a lot from Photo.net and have hung out there nearly my entire photographic life. I do visit the galleries there often but find myself scanning the photo credits to pick out and view the film-based work. In recent years there seems to be a dominant dependency on post-exposure modification or enhancement namely with Photoshop. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not how I personally enjoy the hobby. I wholly respect folks who can create art from behind the keyboard, but its nice to find a forum where everyone (I think) is still trying to achieve art at the time of exposure.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cian

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  5. Andrew A.

Andrew A. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cian...but the question really remains...so where have YOU been :tongue:

I know, I know, you have been busy in the workshop or doing your other part time job montoring the other WW forum.

Good to see you...Andrew

6. Cian

Cian Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the welcome Andrew! I at times think I have way too many hobbies, but I do enjoy all of them. Luckily, they tend to be seasonal - cycling and photography in the warmer months and woodworking in the winter. :smile:

7. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I like your signature.
    Welcome.

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cian,

Welcome from NYC.

A word of caution is in order - if you hang around here very much you will soon be looking at MF gear. And then there are the LF'ers here who sing a "siren call" to unsuspecting 35mm guys! :D

9. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I`ve been around!
    Welcome to APUG.

Cheers

André

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Cian... many of us here are cylists too...

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And worst of the lot are the darkroom guys; a really nasty bunch! Yes, you really do need to steer clear of us... er, I mean, 'them'! Erm, I mean...!

Oh, the hell with it! Welcome to APUG anyway!

:D

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome to APUG.

Psssst, hey... wanna look through an 8x10?... go ahead... first one's free.....

13. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome Cian from one Windy City person to another, you are going to love this site but more over the people on this site, i just started to get into 35MM photography my self and did not no a thing about any thing and believe me i have asked some well you no what i mean, there is just a wealth of information on this site, again, a big Welcome=Enjoy.

Mike.