Where to buy 120 film in Iceland ?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by crispinuk, Aug 10, 2006.

1. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm due to fly to Iceland from London Heathrow for two weeks tomorrow but because of a bomb threat today ALL carry on luggage has been banned from UK flights, as I understand all you are allowed is your passport and money. This means the Velvia I'm planning to take will have to go through check-in Xray machines, which I understand is not good.

Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy 120 velvia in Iceland (presumably Reykjavik)?

Is a single trip through a check in Xray machine likely to fog 100ISO velvia ? (If risking it I would certainly post the exposed film back home).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Crispin

2. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What I have understand from collegues who has visiting Iceland is that specially film is rediculous expensive. So I should fill my jacket with Velvia roll films and put it if necessary into the hand luggage X-ray machine. Slow and medium speed films will not be a problem.

Have a safe trip :smile:

Best regards,

Robert

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, given the recent events and the ban on all carry-on luggage for flights from England, perhaps you should consider a nice sketch pad and set of coloured pencils.

Are you really willing to put your cameras into checked baggage?

4. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The sketch pad idea is a nice one, but unfortunately my drawing abilities stem from the stick figure school.
    I've just been offered the loan of a 'Peli' style case from work so given the choice between 2 weeks in Iceland without a camera and the what I consider an acceptable risk to check them in, they're going.

Robert, as Brian says ALL carry on items are currently banned, you cannot even take a newspaper or book to read, so a box full of cylindrical objects wrapped in silver foil will not amuse the security staff. I think the ban on most items is more to do with reducing delays as EVERYTHING is being hand searched.

I'm expecting to pay over the odds for film in Iceland, but the choice is no-film, or the risk of taking back a pile of fogged film. I guess that 120 velvia must be available in Iceland as there are quite a few serious photographers there, but whether and where it can be bought over the counter is what I am trying to find out. Unfortunately time is against me, if this had happened a week ago I would have had time to make appropriate arrangements.

5. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't forget that you'll need to find (and allow time for) E6 processing as well in case these bans are still in force when you return.

In response eto the issue raised on checking camera equipment, I very often travel with two systems and check one of them. I'd certainly take a small risk of damage or loss than accept the inevitability of no photographs. I do have insurance though.

Take a digital p&s in case you can't find film.

6. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry, I haven't had any luck with anything in bulk. You will also pay a hefty price if you do find anything. Have you considered having it specially shipped?

ALso... news here is that you can take carry-on, but nothing liquid or gel. You may want to double check the new rules.

Good luck and have a great time!

Bill

7. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In that case your camera equipment must be in the luggage too. If the security is on level red maybe you can arrange to send a parcel to your hotel in Iceland with post express. Always cheaper than searching and buying 120 roll films (if available) on Iceland. The same you can do with your exposed films if you can not have the E-6 development in time. Put some airpack envelopes in your luggage.

Best regards,

Robert

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have a planned destination in Iceland such as a hotel or guest home? If so, you could send the film via mail or courier service ahead to time to be held for your arrival.

Also, I would expect that the ban on hand luggage is a short-term situation. Pics over here show people carrying on items but using clear plastic bags issued by the authorities.

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mail the film ahead, perhaps?

Poste Restante
    Reykjavik
    ?

10. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the various suggestions.
    George, the clear plastic bags are for carrying the few items that are allowed, there's what appears to be a definitive list of allowed items produced by British Airport Authorities and it doesn't include film.

Sending film poste restante is a good idea but as I'm leaving tomorrow and it may take several days (including a weekend) to get there I don't really want to be hanging around Reykjavik rather than heading east. It's something I will be seriously considering in future though. As I'm camping I can't really arrange a courier to drop at a particular destination, especially given the very short timescale.(Been at work all day so haven't been able to arrange much other than a bit of sneaky forum use).

I've decided to take the film anyway, if it has to go in the hold I'll try and buy in Reykjavik, if I can find some then I'll write off the stuff I brought with me (20 quids worth of film isn't much compared to what the car hire is costing me!). If I can't find any I'll use what I brought anyway and if it has to be checked into the hold on the return I'll post it back. If I'm lucky it may come out OK, if not I'll still have what I shot on my D*git*l SLR, which is coming with me anyway as backup and for general holiday shots. One of the reasons I recently bought the MF camera was to take with me to Iceland, so it would be a shame to leave it behind.

Crispin

11. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just heard on the news all the problems around Heathrow airport. I can only suggest to put some 120 roll films in an airpack enveloppe (post express) and address them to your camping destination attn. to you. They will arrive in a few days and your risk will be less high.

Nevertheless a safe holiday and hope you will get nice results.

Robert

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  13. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess you will be condemned to watching "my dog Skip" 3 times in a row :smile:

G

16. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can always travel by boat. Plenty of opportunities. You can photograph the sunset, the pretty girls on board, the captain etc. And there will be no x-raying your stuff...

18. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just went on a cruise from New York to Bermuda. They do x-ray carry-on. Both at initial boarding and whenever you come back from a shore excursion.

Glad I had the film in the protective lead pouch.

Do not know if "checked bags" are x-rayed (suspect so).

19. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They X-ray NOTHING in Greek boats doing trips to and from the islands. I am soon going to embark on a ferry to Italy and I expect to have nothing X-rayed either. You live in a police state, it's not like that everywhere... soon the authorities in police states will X-ray yourself when going in or out your house...

(now I did it again... this thread is going to end up in the Soap Box... sorry...)

20. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know objectively and from personal experience how much harm airport luggage scanning is actually likely to do to film? I am about to have the same problem going to Spain to photograph Roman ruins. At least there film is easy to get.

David.

21. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A luggage scan is destroying your film also low iso B&W and color film.

Here is an offical Ilford statement:
    "ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Dear Apuggers,

The very recent changes in airport security, especially on aircraft leaving United Kingdom airports, means that under the present circumstances films cannot now be carried on board the aircraft. However, as a reminder we DO NOT recommend placing film in checked luggage. Extensive testing carried out by the photo industry, and with the co-operation of the security authorities, has shown that all films, colour and black and white, stand a strong chance of being severely fogged after passing through the scanners currently in use in airports around the world used for checked luggage. As a result ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited technical services strongly advise our customers, wherever possible, to purchase their film at their destination and also to have it processed locally.

Rod Parsons, Vice President, Technical Operations "

----------
    Best regards,

Robert

22. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot. I wouldn't even try. Sometimes it doesn't go through, but if it does, consider it ruined.

Bill

23. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    NOT HEARSAY, NOT SPECULATION, NOT FOLKLORE, NOT URBAN LEGEND, BUT SCIENCE:

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO THE REFERENCES... I3A IS AN INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION THAT ACTUALLY PERFORMED SCIENTIFICALLY VALID EXPERIMENTATION ON THE EFFECTS OF X-RAY ON FILM, BOTH THE CARRY-ON MACHINES (RAPISCAN) AND THE CHECKED BAGGAGE MACHINES (INVISION CTX).

24. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm back. As a follow up I'll cover a few points that may be of interest to people.

To cover the main topic of the thread, I found a box (of 5 rolls) of 120 velvia in a photography shop in Reykjavik called Hans Petersen on Bankastraeti (oposite the old government building). The cost was 4300 Kr, which being over 4000 Kr meant I could claim back some of the tax (550 Kr), but was still twice what I paid in the UK. They also had a few boxes of black and white films in 120 as well. In future, with more time allowed for planning, posting film ahead is probably the way to go.

Now, on to some of the other points raised. (I guess this all really belongs in the 'locations' forum now, I only asked in the colour film forum originally as it seemed more active and likely to get a quick answer, and it was a question about film after all. Can the thread be moved to another forum somehow ?)

The comment about going by ferry is actually quite valid. For anything over a 2 week trip, and using a 'real' 4x4 vehicle, it actually works out cheaper to bring your own vehicle across from the UK or continental Europe than flying in and renting. This assumes of course that you have a 4x4 or a 2 wheel drive car that you don't mind getting trashed - the best locations are a good vehicle trashing drive to get to.

As far as the X-ray scanning goes, I asked the staff at Heathrow if I could take the film through as carry on and they said no, but assured me the checked-in scanners were no worse than the hand baggage scanners and would not cause a problem with one scan. I don't believe them but as I brought the film back again I will put a roll through the camera to see what effect it has had. In the hope of minimising mechanical handling and shocks I took the 'Peli Case' containing my cameras to the oversize baggage check in. This experience then confirmed my pesimistic view that using a lead bag just results in the operators turning up X-rays to eleven until they can see inside it. My medium format camera is a Horseman 980 technical camera, which when folded up is basically a solid block of aluminium. Because the operator could only see a dark square blob they put it through the scanner three times (probably increasing the power each time) before giving up and asking me to open the box for a hand search. The film was in my rucksack which hopefully only got one standard dose at the end of the check in conveyor belt.

Incidently, last year I went on a short duration 'round the world' trip and a couple of rolls of 35mm Velvia 50 I had must have gone through 10-12 hand baggage scanners with no visible ill effects.

On the way back the only restrictions for carry on luggage was taking liquids through the security check, and I think things are a lot less restrictive at Heathrow now.

I think that's everything covered.

Crispin

25. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    First at all I hope you enjoyed the trip and glad you're safe back again because thats the main reason for all those security measurements and limitations we have now.

Thanks for sharing this first hand information. I agree that posting film ahead is the way to go or buy locally on a respectable photo store, if of course possible.

Best regards,

Robert

26. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm just back from Iceland from London too, having carried my film through the hand- baggage system both ways with no issues. Like others I fly a lot and have often had film scanned on a hand baggage system many times with no visible effects.

I guess the point of posting is that now that things seem to have settled at UK airports, there's no need to search out extremely expensive film at destinations. 4300 Krona may be twice what you paid but frankly its three times what I pay after I've reclaimed VAT, and between myself and my wife we carried 100 rolls of 120/220 in our carry-on easily enough.

Personally I'd be more nervous about the fate of film posted to a hotel to arrive several days before my booking than about putting it in my carry-on.

Incidentally I know that 4x4 hire in Iceland is expensive and checked out a lot of options, so in that context I was rather pleased that Avis, on my frequent user card, hired us a medium sized Hyundai for £572 for 8 days, on the full understanding that I was going to use it on F roads and to ford the odd river. I should also point out however that I have an annual policy to cover uninsured damage to rental cars which means I don't have to take out the super CDW to reduce the excess to a sensible amount. The point here is I guess that given 2500km on mostly rough roads, the risk of breakdown etc and I'd rather be driving someone else's vehicle than anything I owned!