Where to buy a rangefinder in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by sunsesame, May 22, 2012.

1. sunsesame

sunsesame Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to decided to make the move to a rangefinder and I am trying to track one down in Sydney...and failing.

Right now i've narrowed it down to Yaschica Electro 35 GSN (for the aperture priority and 1.8 lens) or a Olympus 35 RD.
    I've had a look on Ebay and for the Yaschica and prices are around $200 (from Japan, not including shipping). I've heard about people in the USA buying them from around $100 in store. I am a bit apprehensive about buying off ebay...

Rangerfinder owners, where have you purchased yours from?

Would appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  2. tomtraubert

tomtraubert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Re: eBay - I bought quite a bit of (used) photo equipment through that site over the years, never had any issues. There's a couple of used Yashicas there right now, the bidding is still open, but the current prices look very acceptable indeed. Such as this Electro 35 GSN from Perth, still sitting on its original price of $29.95 (nobody placed any bids, and there's about 3 days left).

3. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Grab it, sunsesame! I'll get the batteries to you a.s.a.p!

4. sunsesame

sunsesame Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will definitely keep my eyes on that one.. Thanks!
    The main reason I'm a bit apprehensive about buying gear on eBay is that I have found repairing old gear to be a bit of a nightmare in Sydney and I didn't want to take that risk. However, it will be worth it.

Molli! I'll send you a message as to whether I snap that one up on eBay! Thanks so much for all your help..

5. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are absolutely welcome :smile:

6. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out the yellow covered "Photographic Trader" magazine from your local newsagent. There is also a camera market day at Ultimo Community Centre Bulwarra St Ultimo 10am-3pm Sunday 22 July. Mostly endless heaps of SLRs for sale but I have seen very attractive Nikon rangefinders there--rather more than $30, though! If you win the lottery soon Mainline at Crows Nest for Leicas and Voigtlanders.

7. quickbrownfox

quickbrownfox Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    there is a place selling antiques on king st newtown called "old wares" that has a camera section inside under the banner "smile please" number 0416007128. i cant personally vouch for the operator as he was on his way out when i was coming in but he had a large selection of cameras at a mild premium over ebay prices. maybe give them a call?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  8. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I forgot that shop. It's at 471 King St toward Enmore. The stock looked to be of quite good standard to me and varied. Impossible to really evaluate without a test run of course.