Where to buy film?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by chrismccoy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. chrismccoy

chrismccoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    New here :smile: Basically I've been trying to get into photography as a hobby for a while now, but I was a bit stuck without funds to by a camera haha. Few months ago I found a Pentax MV in my attic which wasn't working, but I took it in to find it was just dead batteries. Now it's up and running and I've already fallen in love with the retro and nostalgic feel of the photos. Anyway I was just wondering where the best place is to buy colour 35mm film? Prefrebly in bulk to save some money because I'm a bit strapped for cash,

Thanks! :D

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What do you consider "bulk"? ten rolls, a brick of 20 rolls or maybe a pallet? And where in the world are you?

Sometimes the lowest cost C41 colour film is the 3 or 4 roll packs at the local drugstore.

3. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, it might help if you indicated which corner of the planet you are in... :wink:

But generally, the best deals and choices are now probably online (if you happen to be in Europe, I can send you a good link).

4. chrismccoy

chrismccoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess 10 - 20 rolls is what I'd be looking for. Sorry haha I'm from the UK but I kind of meant online anyway :D Yes please do!

5. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/anglicus/index.html

Has a nice choice of films and other analogue photography materials.

Shipmemt from Germany could be more expensive than the link above (still need to compare prices).

At least in Germany, some supermarkets are still sometimes offering cheap film (Aldi).

7. tocalosh

tocalosh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    silverprint.co.uk
    ag-photographic.co.uk
    7dayshop.com

The first two are the best, great range and customer service! but 7dayshop also has some very good deals

8. chrismccoy

chrismccoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cheers for your help guys :smile:

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look up Freestyle or B&H.

Jeff

10. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The postage for Firstcall Photographic is heinously expensive. Not to do disservice to your post, just stating my opinion on their P&P. Mathers of Lancashire, Discount Films Direct and Mailshots are also good sources, although I find myself ordering from 7dayshop predominantly. Their prices fluctuate a lot so keep an eye on it to bag the best bargains.

12. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no problem...

doesn't it depend on how much you order tho'?
    anyway, I use 7dayshop too, but find they have quite a restrictive range on offer, so it depends on what you want I suppose

13. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    AG Photographic is a good UK film dealer, not too pricey. First Call sometimes has deals for very, very cheap colour film, but the shipping is a lot, so you've got to buy a lot to make it worthwhile.

14. Pat Erson

Pat Erson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  15. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course I had to have a look: at least for the B&W films I compared, Fotoimpex (I posted the link previously) is generally cheaper, sometimes much cheaper. It also has much more to choose from.

16. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just did a quick check for Kodak TMax 400 120 size and in this Ag Photographic beats Photostock easily. The OP can do his own check on those films he is interested but I suspect Ag beats Photostock in other films as well and the postage from a stockist in the U.K. to a customer in the U.K. is probably cheaper as well.

My experience of e-bay is that most sellers are commercial sellers using a Buy It Now price and rely on buyers thinking that as it is e-bay it must be cheaper which it isn't.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

18. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 for silverprint.co.uk ... even from the U.S. (ergo Moi) ... I used to buy from them only when they still sold Maco Cube 400, which sadly I cannot find anymore. Also went to their location in London to pick up a few rolls, once, when I was across the pond. Excellent if slightly stoic service. products offered are among if not the absolute best ... but not the cheapest to be had.

Arista products from www.freestylephoto.biz are about the best value, but shipping to UK from Southern California may cancel out any savings.

20. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    What I will now say may not matter to the OP if he only orders a few films but Firstcall is only heinously expensive if you order small lightweight items as Firstcall operates a standard "one price fits all" policy so large items such as paper and chemicals makes it one of the cheapest suppliers

Just try others' postage costs for say 2 x boxes of 8 x10 paper plus 2x5L of developer and fixer.

It is a case of "the right horses for the right courses" in terms of postage

pentaxuser

21. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely. Delivery and prices always vary so much that it definitely makes a lot of sense to check as many sources as possible. The websites that I like the most are the ones that tell you actual delivery without having to sign in/make accounts, so much better and more user friendly.

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sometimes Jessops can be worth considering (there, I said it!). Their prices are higher than most but you can order on-line then get them to deliver to your nearest store to pick it up - so no postage charges at all.

Steve.

23. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    or you could go to any local place that develops or sells film and ask if they have any expired film.
    Most places usually half the price as soon as it expires, but it still should be good to use... and if you're really lucky you can get a nice big box for dead cheap

24. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format