where to find calibrated step tablets in europe

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by plus, Jul 1, 2011.

1. plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HI ALL!

Do you know where I can find stouffer alike CALIBRATED STEP TABLETS (half a stop steps) here in europe? Some online shops of course...
    I wouldn't want to wait for more than a month to have it from USA due to the horrible italian customs delays...I need it to calibrate transmission mode on my noritsu densitometer.

thanx so much.
    cheers!

2. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you tried asking Sabatini in Rome? (www.sabatini.ws).
    They normally have all that can be needed by a professional, or can order it for you.

Very near Sabatini, in the Prati district, there is also the Italian branch of the Swiss shop Ars Imago, which also has a web commerce site (ars-imago.com). I don't know this shop personally. Next time I go to Sabatini, I'll call Ars Imago as well.

Ciao
    Fabrizio

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought mine by calling Stouffer on the phone. A short call, and within 4 days a letter rate envelope made of stiff cardboard arrived with the product. Best $50 I ever spent, considering how a step wedge letest you tune up just about every process you do in the darkroom. Mine is uncalibrated. It reads very linearly on my denisitimeter, and I don't see the value in paying for calibration if it is for personal use.

5. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I did mine with Stouffer over email with all my card and address details, worked perfectly.

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't comment on the speed of the Italian Customs department but can say that RH Designs has a despatch service that I found to be unbeatable. As we are in the EU there shouldn't be a problem.

pentaxuser

7. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is no custom between UK and Italy, every good and person travels freely. The OP is from Pisa so an Italian source would probably be less expensive, I suppose for such a thing shipping cost is greater than the good itself.

I find UK shops to be well provided, but inconveniently expensive when shipping to Italy is taken into account.

8. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was surprised when I saw the (low) shipping cost for the step tablet at the RH Designs web shop.

9. plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanx everyone. Fabrizio knows well, I guess, the italian issues with customs as well as the italian DEFICIENCY in such professional analogical stuff. But I didn't see that RH DESIGNS guys got also the calibrated ones so I will place an order there.
    Mike: I'm doing a research work on ilfochrome homebrew bleach so uncalibrated ones (despite the good stouffer uncalibrated tablets tolerance) are not enough for me during this very crucial step.

all the best

10. swchris

swchris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between calibrared and uncalibrated ones?

11. plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    obviously the uncalibrated ones are less exact than the calibrated ones. give the uncalibrated ones a 0.10 tolerance on the last step (almost half a stop), very good for usual works, not enough for experimental researchs by densitometer analysis...

12. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello !
    The two are made exactly the same. out of the production line, the calibrated get it's values measured with a "very precise" densitometer and the transmission (or reflection) values written on the packaging.
    This way, you have the exact value of the wedge.
    These are useful if you do not own a densitometer but a way to compare densities values. By using a calibrated wedge you can have a quite precise measurement of you unknown densities using your comparator and the calibrated wedge.

13. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sad to hear that italy has such slow custom.
    I ordered my newest wedges directly from stouffer and they arrived in envelope (well protected) so there was no customs at all.