Where to get a dead SLR?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by MattCarey, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heya,

I would like to get an SLR for an evil purpose. It is best if it doesn't work, since it won't work when I (OK, when my son) is done with it. Anyone know where to look? eBay? KEH?

Matt

2. Gary892

Gary892 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Matt, I have an old Pentax 35mm slr that is in need of repair. The film advance is jamed and it had been sitting for several years.

If you are interested pm me your information and I send it to you.

Gary

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just go to your local camera dealer and ask if he has any Nikon D-100's left. :surprised:

It was a "top shelf" DSLR only three years ago. Now it is just about worthless.

Other "early issuse" DSLRs wll also meet the above criterion. :wink:

4. Gary892

Gary892 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    OK, now I feel really stupid. :surprised: I just checked and I can't find the camera. My wife informed me I threw it away or traded it several years ago. :confused: I don't remember that but she has an iron clad memory and mine is questionable.

If I do find one and I pm you and save myself the public embarrassment. :rolleyes:

Sorry

Gary

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just sold a broken Nikon FE on eBay... surprisingly I got $31 US for it. It was pretty but it had an electronics problem.

KEH often has nonfunctional cameras on special. You can easily find them on eBay too.

6. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH sells broken cameras as is. They have some sort of Minolta for $3. :D Of course, I would recommend waiting until you have something real to buy so you don't have to spend $10 to ship a $3 camera. They have an as-is section where the cameras are listed separately from the ones that work.

Edit: I just realized that I have some sort of broken piece of crap in the garage. A few, I think. I will PM you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  7. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a Canon A1, complete with a battered case, lens etc. It works, but sometimes the shutter is slow to release. The speeds seem fine, just the release button doesn't seem to "catch". Is this the sort of thing you'd like? It'll be cheep like the little birdies :tongue:

cheers eh?

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Bronica S2 that I haven't used in a little while. Is this dead enough for you?

Attached Files:

• s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yard sales and estate sales. Also check at the Goodwill stores. They usually have all sorts of broken cameras.

10. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH has an "as is" section on the back of their catalogs where they list SLR's like an inoperative Leica R3 for $149, an Olympus OM1 for $33.00, a Pentax K2 for $39.00, etc.

11. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    look for something listed as near mint on ebay :wink:

12. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just buy one listed as "mint" on ebay. It stands as good a chance of being dead as a mashed cat. :smile:

13. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Minolta X370 that has bad battery contacts (I think it's totally dead now). It wasn't worth much when it worked, so PM me if you want it.

14. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heya!

Thanks all for the responses. I'll check the "as-is" at KEH. Meanwhile, I'll PM a few of you about your generous offers!

Matt

15. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shop no further than eBay using search terms like beater, parts, etc. The mother of all canned popcorn and underwear sales sites is a mecca.

:smile:

16. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll generally find quite a few cameras on eBay sold "As-Is" or "For Parts".

17. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree you have to be careful buying cameras on ebay as some people are not as accurate as they should be, but I think some of the posters here are being a little too cynical! I've had many bargains over the past few years and on the three occasions when the description was misleading I've had my money back from the seller.

But ebay is an excellent place for cameras clearly sold as non-working, usually described as for parts or spares. Indeed I've got a Pentax MV body on there at present which is semi-working. Such cameras usually go for around £5 ($9.50). Sometimes the seller includes a lens which is working so it can be a way of getting a cheap lens (usually a 50mm).

18. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have had very good experience buying cameras on eBay. As regards SLRs, over the past several years, I have purchased:

Nikons:

two - F5's
    three - F100's
    three - F3HP's
    one - N75
    one - FT-3
    one- F

Hassey:
    one - 503cw

Bronica:
    one - ETRSi

In all cases, I have been very pleased with what I purchased - even though it was all "sight unseen" and I relied on the seller's honesty.

Depending on what you are seeking, first off, if you spend a few weeks just looking and "watching" models you're interested in you will learn that there are some regular sellers with excellent ratings.

These folks are knowledgeble dealers and give fair ratings - since they are dealing with a lot of gear. With these sellers it is not unusual to see three or four listings of a model with different ratings and prices - they are basically "on-line" versions of the "Used Section" of your "good old camera store".

Most of these folks offer returns etc. and I feel very comfortable dealing with them.

Just one caveat, I've found that there are number of "brick and mortar" dealers who use eBay but are a bit "piggy" about their pricing. I try to avoid these guys - not because I'm concerned about the quality of their listings - but rather because I think they are not properly "marking to market".

So I seek out the "on-line only" reputable sellers. And I've, so far, had good luck (NOTE: Now hear sound of knuckles knocking on wood!).

19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend who is a camera repairer buys a lot of dead cameras for spares from insurance company s who have paid out on claims for them.

20. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would be happy to get any working early issue issue DSLR for say $100. That including the D100, Canon D30,D60, and many Kodak DSLR's. However, those go for higher prices on Ebay.

21. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Be fair more like 5 years ago now I think!

22. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It surprises me the prices that any camera which is digital goes for on ebay. People seem to get carried away and often they could get a new and better specified camera elsewhere for the same or less than they've paid. But I'm pleased as I'm about to put up my elderly Finepix which I used to use for photographing my ebay items. I look forward to someone paying me an attractively silly price for it.