where to get started?

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Ishotharold, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Ishotharold

Ishotharold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just received a big box of cameras, among all the kodak autographs and roll camera I managed to find something that really got me excited. It's a conley 5x7 and it has what I think are two plate holders. They have a little tab inside that holder that presses down and is spring laoded. Sound right? Here is a picture of the camera. The bellows don't have any glareing holes and the shutter works well so my next thought is of course 'I want to make pictures with it'. Where do I start?

[​IMG]

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Put film in the holders and start making pictures. That's the best place to get started. Grin.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If your plate holders have film inserts (thin, black metal 'plates' with narrow channels on three sides to hold film) you can start right away. If not, you'll need to pick up at least one 5x7 film holder. I don't have a picture of one on hand, but they fit in by depressing the spring loaded tabs at the bottom on the holder.

- Randy

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those are glass plate holders. You can use them for film, but it's a bit tricky. Your best bet is to look around for some old wooden 5x7 film holders which you can pick up fairly cheaply on The-Auction-Site-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Once you have a handful in your posession, go out and shoot!

5. Ishotharold

Ishotharold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    two hold plates and two have the film inserts. I have some efke 5x7 sheets but I was more curious about how to get started in plate photography. I'm guessing I need to coat my own?

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Check around this site for older threads on plates - there are a number of them. I don't have any experience with them myself, other than printing vintage plates (which I collect).

- Randy

7. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, if you want to make plates, I think you'll have to coat your own. There is ready-made glass plates on the market too, but they are very expensive.

Here's one explanation on how to do dry plates:
    AlternativePhotography.com : the dry plate or liquid emulsion process

By the way, I have a Conley lens, which probably came off a camera like yours.