Where to go in AZ?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Rulon Leman, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Rulon Leman

Rulon Leman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey all,
    I recently moved to Mesa in Arizona. I haven't had the chance to do much sightseeing since I've been down here. Anybody from the area know of some good places not to far from the city to go and do some photography?
    ~Rulon

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First thing that came to mind is going East ot your position to Globe. Many Hohokam ruins and one in a park run by the state. There is also a nice drive past the resivour. You have the old mines and all the equipment. Great old time architecture in the town as well. North is Sedona and a very scenic area rife with possibilities. Beyond that I know Tucson area much better. Those two places are the closer in ones. The Desert is always fun, just start hiking once the temps get cooler. When you have the time, Spend a weekend up Page way. Take the railroad to the South Rim. Follow the bits of what is left of old hwy 66. If the Moggollon ridge is not to burnt, there is a lot up towards Payson. Most of all have fun exploring.

3. mark

mark Member

You are in AZ now and distance takes on a different meaning. Driving a couple of hours means nothing, not to mention that you get out of that heatsink you live in and experieince the not so always sunny parts of AZ. I'm in Ganado which is on the Navajo reservation.

Hit the Mogollon Rim. Tis time of year means fall color galore. You would also get fall color in Flagstaff though the peak may have already hit.

For big buildings go to downtown phoenix or to Tucson for smaller barrio buildings. Tucson is a happening place for photography. San Xavier, tangue verdi canyon, Sabino canyon, Mount Lemon.

Globe, as Aggie said is neat. There is also Payson, and Prescott. I find sedona sucky too many new age freaks building medicine wheels where they get in the way. But that is my Opinion.

Take a long weekend to get out and explore. If you can't get a long weekend right now go to the library and find the numerous Photo books on AZ and browse making a list of the areas you want to explore. If you are coming up to Canyon De Chelly drop me a line and I'll show you around the area.

4. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would also head east. You can take 88 and the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Dam. Some gravel road or at least it used to be. You can get back taking 88 to 60 and west. A longer drive is the Chiricahua Nat Monument in the south east corner. Lot's of interesting rock forms. Tucson has the east and west Saguaro National Parks (or are they monuments?). Sabino Canyon is probably nice in the fall. Also there's a photo place at the U. Of AZ. Center for Creative Photography I think. Might be something you want to see. I live in the Midwest but have family in AZ and have visited many times. I can safely say that I've seldom taken a good landscape out there. Hard to get used to that light.

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome. I used to live in the Phoenix area myself. If you are looking for landscapes, there are many good places, one of my favorites, not too far from Mesa is to go out to the Superstition Mountains near Apache Junction. Great place for sunrise, early morning work. Also, check out the Saguaro National Park (West Unit) west of Tucson.

6. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a comb with you if you're walking in the desert. It works well for cholla cactus, but not as well on rattlesnakes or gila monsters.

7. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    one thing that really gets those tiny needles out of your hands is rubber cement.
    Paint it on the wound and let it dry and then when dry rub it off. Works really well.

lee\c

8. Rulon Leman

Rulon Leman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't understand the comb thing.. sorry I'm dumb. But I usually take a small 22 with me when I'm out in the wilderness by myself
    ~Rulon

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The first time you get close to the cholla cactus you will understand. The cholla has lots of little barbs and sticks to anything that gets close to it. Good advice.

10. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure it is a fine tooth comb. The wide tooth comb will not catch the spines/barbs when you run it over your skin.

My son was just three years old when we moved to the Desert. He within minutes had a meeting with a cholla cactus. It hurt him, and his response was it was naughty so he had to spank it. He learned to not go near cactus.

Also make sure you have a good hat of a light color. Plenty of sunscreen, and lots of bottled water.

11. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in Mesa. My son and I drove over to Superior. Not really much there, but it is old and quaint. We have not made it to Globe or Miami to go exploring there.

There are things down in Tucson and north in Sedona and Jerome. A lot depends upon what you are looking for. Tombstone has Helldorado Days. I don't know how much camera work you can do down south in Kartcner Caverns. Bisbee, the old mining town is south of Tucson.

What camera are you using?

Rusty

12. fred

fred Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say Rulan, photography starts in the morning at the place where you live. It's maybe the most difficult thing. Seeing the subjects to photograph in your 'each day' envirement.
    It could be even an very fine serie: a day in your life at home, from morning to evening.

Only a thought... :smile:

13. Rulon Leman

Rulon Leman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a good idea, unfortunately the day in the life of Rulon consists of a whole bunch of nothing. Maybe when I get a life tho. Haven't had alot to do since I've moved down.
    I use a Nikon N2020
    ~Rulon

14. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rulon, email me if you want to go out and shoot sometime. I can show you a few places which are interesting. tim

P.S. A cholla cactus is like the "tar baby"

15. Rulon Leman

Rulon Leman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I drove up to Globe yesterday, drove around in the residential area for half an hour till I found the Historical District. It was awesome! There's so much architecture up there. I was taking pictures of the Holy Angels Christian Church which is gorgeous from the outside, when an old guy came out and offered to let me come in and take pictures inside. It was way fun. Unfortunately all the film I had left when I got inside was color, and the lighting wasn't great and my flash is broken, so I don't know how they'll turn out, but I'll post some pics in the critique gallery from what I got outside.
    ~Rulon

16. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like some of the guys want to go out to "play" (shoot) with you. I sent you a private email yesterday. Just look at the top.

Haven't made it all the way to Globe yet, but I am glad to hear of your discovery. It is fun to scout out some of the dying places where one can discover relics that are still standing.

Now that things are finally cooling off, I am shooting as time and energy allow.

Rusty

17. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two places that I know of just off I-10 are Picacho Peak, a volcanic neck remnant that gives a nice view over the desert and the Casa Grande, the ruins not the town. I'm wondering if that airplane storage area by Tuscon is accesible, that would be a neat shoot.

18. Rulon Leman

Rulon Leman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That'd be fun to go out shooting with some of you. As I'm a poor youngster I don't have my own car to drive around, but if someone was going to shoot somewhere and wouldn't mind having me along I'd love to come.
    ~Rulon

19. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, that's not fair... talking about all the great places in AZ that my friends and I would visit when I lived there - and before I became seriously involved with photography. You are just trying to make me jealous :wink:
    Not fair, not fair at all, I say.
    Rulon, there are some really great suggestions in this thread. If you get the chance, visit them all!

gene

20. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sometimes miss living in Arizona, so I recently subscribed to Arizona Highways - which, BTW, has a policy of not accepting images taken on digital cameras.

21. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is just so Jack Dykinga doesn't beat them to death with his left-handed Arca-Swiss.... :smile:

22. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, I miss living there as well. Half of my wife's family still live there, her father in Tucson and two brothers just outside Phoenix. She has been back there more than I have.
    I would like to relocate there after the kids are through with college in about five years - time for her to be near her family!

gene

23. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For any and all. If you are planning a trip to Tucson during decent weather (meaning not too hot outside to sit under a dark cloth, from October until May), please contact me if you want to go out shooting. There is plenty to see here and many different opportunities for photography. I'd be glad to meet you, talk photography and shoot a few images. Just drop me an email. tim

24. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    He has written a couple of nice editorials on film vs digital for them. He is absolutely, one of my favorites. He has a new book coming out, that I have been keeping my eye out for.