Where to go in London?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by EASmithV, Aug 21, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am currently in London, and I am looking for any ideas on where to go to shop for camera junk. Where can I go (antique shops, camera shops) to pick up fairly priced camera stuff?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This website might help :D

We know you americans who visit or live in London, Paris, Venice Athens etc without ever leaving North America :smile:

More seriously Teamwork in Foley Street, AVOID Nicholas Camera's. Aperture has a good reputation, try Notting Hill or Camden markets. Pick up a copy of B&W magazine in a WH Smiths, or flick through Amateur Photographer.

Ian

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in London for a conference, and on the way back to my hotel I stumbled upon Teamwork and stopped in. Very nice place with an interesting selection of LF items, a few Gandolfis ("Gandolfii"?) on the shelf, and such. I noticed they had some Noblex items and asked if they had any filters for MF Noblex, and it seems they are yet another retailer who have more or less dropped Noblex, because the manufacturer has been difficult to deal with.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try find Zwemmers, excellent Film & Photography bookshop, the National Portrait gallery (has some superb photography), and the Photographers Gallery. They are all walking distance from Foley Street.

If you (I mean David Goldfarb here) get time visit or call and meet up with Martin Reed at Silverprint.

Ian

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to the NPG a couple of times, and agree that it's a great place to visit. Don't know that I'll have time this trip, but I may make it to the Tate Modern to catch the Futurism exhibition before it closes, and there's a small show by a photographer named Jeremy Millar at the National Maritime Museum that is related to the conference I'm attending that I might try to see, if I can figure out how to get to the National Maritime Museum.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aperture, on Museum Street.
    Grays of Westminster, if you're into things Nikon, is a must.
    Silverprint in Southwark sounds promising for darkroom aficionados.

I only got to Grays and a couple of Jessops. The Jessops were a waste of time; Grays was great. It was the only place I've ever found that had the EC-E screen for the Nikon F5 in stock, so I bought one, and I was graciously shown the used equipment room which is very impressive.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And go at lunch time as it's a café as well. Actually, they don't open until 12:00 anyway!

Steve.

9. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    try their carrot and ginger juice, or their veg meals, hmmmmm