Where to keep enlarger lenses?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by luxikon, Jan 16, 2009.

1. luxikon

luxikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After working in the darkroom I always put the baths back into their storage containers. Can I leave the enlarger lenses in the enlarger or is it better to keep them outside the darkroom if not used. I am in the darkroom almost every day.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the darkrooms dry, not damp they are fine there. My darkroom is in a cellar, so I remove the lenses. The danger is that moisture gets inside & then as you start to use them condenses on the internal elements as a mist/fog, I had this happen in a cold damp darkroom at one time, kuckily I could clean the lenses.

So keep somewhere warmer & drier.

Ian

3. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leaving a lens on the enlarger for a long period of time is liable to accumulate dust on the rear element. I do leave mine on if I know I'll be working for short periods.

My enlarger lenses are either stored in their original box or other protective wrapping and are kept in a cupboard in the darkroom.

4. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always leave them on the enlargers. Indeed, it never ocurred to me that one should store them away :smile:
    But then, my darkrooms have always been a spare room at home, i.e. part of the regular living space.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    We keep ours on the enlargers in the university darkroom...and we have to replace them occasionally due to fungus growing in them. I can sometimes clean them up, but when the fungus/mold gets growing between cemented elements, there is not much one can do about it.

I have thought about keeping the lenses separate from the enlargers, but it is not logistically possible (it would cost us more to check them out...just considering the potential "drop rate" between where ever we stored them and the enlargers makes it impractical.) We keep on exhaust fan going to keep the moisture level from building up too high.

Vaughn

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ever since I found lenses with fungus growing in them, I store mine outside the darkroom where it is lighted (no fungus), warm, and dry.

7. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a "garage" for my lenses like this:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/54030-oraganizing-lenses-box.html
    After each session, I put their caps on and park them in the "garage" next to the enlarger.

My darkroom and finishing room consistst of my entire insulated and drywall finished basement. I have a dehumidifier down there along with several hydrometers scatterd about so I can keep an eye on the humidity. I never let it get above 55%, which happens mostly in the summer. Been there for 13 years and...so far, so good...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

8. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    reinhold,

your darkroom looks awesome! i want one like yours! can i come and play at your place?

eddie

9. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I keep them in the original plastic container, with little packs of silica gel- with the gel wrapped in a half sheet typing paper, which also acts as a desiccant, and minimizes/eliminates dust from the gel.
    silica gel can usually be re-activated (I think there was a thread on this topic) and dry rice works in a pinch.

10. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two lenses - the one I finish up using remains in the enlarger with a dust cap, the other is stored in its storage container in the drawer designed to hold my enlarging bits and pieces.

11. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Guys, if you take the Enlarger Lenses out for storage - how do you stop dust getting into the enlarger?

Martin

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Martin,

Assuming that the enlarger is vertically oriented, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Dust may sometimes be in the air, but it eventually does tend to settle downward when a room is unoccupied and there's nothing to keep it stirred up. Unless there's a lot of air circulation, not much dust should go up through the lens board opening. Any concern can also be alleviated by simply fitting a blank lensboard into the enlarger when a lens is removed. I suspect that most dust which enters an enlarger does so when negative carriers and contrast filters are taken in and out.

Konical

13. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Konical, thanks for the tip

I will hunt down some lens mounting boards and do something about blanking the central holes.

I am "blessed" with cunning and persistent dust that seems determined to get everywhere - no idea how it does it :confused:

Regards

Martin

14. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some more thoughts:

The simple act of focusing an enlarger creates a "bellows pump" action which inhales and exhales air (and any dust in the air). I suppose one could collapse the bellows and insert a blank lensboard as a last act before closing down for the night if it makes you sleep better.

Some folks put a cover over the enlarger if it's going to be a while between sessions. I seem to recall seeing a Beseler brand vinyl cover a loooong time ago...

For a blank lensboard, any flat material will do: a piece of matboard, for example.

Most of us don't need Cleanroom Standards for a darkroom. I doubt if a HEPA filter system is needed. My first darkroom back in '49 or '50 was a old coal cellar. Boy, what a job to get it even remotely clean! My current home has forced air heating, but the vents to the darkroom are closed, just because of the dust issue. No carpet pads on the floor...(too much static electricity & fuzz dust). I wear cotton only (less static).

I just now thought of it, but you might run a grounding (earthing?) wire to the enlarger to drain off any static electricity.

Have fun, don't let the dust bunnies bite...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com