where to purchase a tiltall tripod?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by darinwc, Aug 16, 2011.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello I am looking to buy a Tiltall tripod new. I see I can order them through adorama. But I cannot seem to find the manufacturers homepage to buy it directly. Any know what the site is?
    THX

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot of manufacturers do not sell directly, and when they do it is at full retail. Mail order like Freestyle, Adorama or BHPhoto are likely to cost you less.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has the newest version for $99.

4. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's where I got my black one. Came with a very nice black nylon carrying bag as well. Really spiffy.

Ken

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a couple of Leitz models for sale over at LFPF. The one listed with the Grafmatic used to be mine, should still be in vg condition(but more money).

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    One on LF forum now for 65 bucks.

7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These aren't the same as the oldies. You might be happier with a Manfrotto.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Leitz is nearly identicle tothe Marchioni Bros. model, The newest one uses plastic in the legs for friction locks. I have had one of each of the Marchione and Leitz, and still have one of the newer models, all are strong enough foe a Calumet cc-4xx series camera and accessories.

9. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    One of the most over rated tripods ever made. I owned one for 30 years. While it has it's functionality there are much better choices available today.

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The oldies were nicely made for a semi-ancient design. The newer, Taiwan-made version lacked the same fit-n-finish, had sharp edges, and just didn't look as durable as, say, a Manfrotto 190 or 055. At least with Manfrotto, you have access to multiple heads, accessories and parts+service if anything breaks.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are better options, but for the price, its hard to beat an older Leitz or Marchioni Tiltall.

12. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first "real" tripod was a Tiltall. The weak link for me was the head which had a covering that was inadequate to securely hold anything of much substance without moving. Price was right, legs were sturdy and the aggrevation of the camera moving once attached had me sell it after a good number of years and move one. If the head surface material hasn't changed, I look elsewhere. Bill Barber

13. dhosten

dhosten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you heard of Star D (Tiltall) tripods

Gary Regester is a big fan of the Tiltall tripod and has a page up about the history AND variations. I own a couple Star D Tiltall clones, and am very happy with them.

I prefer my Manfrotto 055 tripod for low level work, and for uneven rocky terrain, but keep the Star D Tiltall clone in the car for everything else.

The Star D Tiltall clones usually sell for a lot less than brand name Marchioni/E.Leitz Tiltalls, I bought both of mine for between $40 and $55 on the big auction site.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  14. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Leitz one most of the time, but a friend has the new one, and it works well too.

Parts are available at http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/p/tiltall-replacement-parts.html

The cork head surface is easily replacable if you want something else on it.

I use it for dslr, 6x6 TLRs, 4x5 speed graphics regularly. I've even used my 8x10 on it, indoors or down low not extended, but would not recommend it for such a format. I put a piece of pipe insulation foam on one leg (shaved down where it meets the center column) so it can be shoulder carried and isn't too cold to hold in the winter. It does a decent job for video too, compared to most consumer tripods built for video.

It's a very serious pro tripod and head for $100 that's better than most $100 tripods with $100 heads on them. I like the timeless design of it too, suitably period correct for a wide variety of camera vintages I'm apt to use. The fact that a used 35 year old tripod sells for the same price as a new one does show that it has a pretty timeless appeal. I wish they made cars with the same 1940s-1950's styling and new ones were cheaper than old ones!

15. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
  16. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the links on the large format forum. Note that one is well-used for $65 and one is in good shape for $100.

My thinking is that for about the same price as a nice used tiltall, i can get a brand new tiltall.
    And while I can get the lighter manfrotto models (3001 series and similar) used for about the same, the heavier models go for about twice as much used.

(And from what i've seen of the chinese benro and similar models, they all seem to have a bit of wiggle in them.)

So thank you for pointing me to freestyle. I can order some film while im at it.

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto. They are not very good IMHO. Before you buy one new, I would at least consider going with a used Bogen/Manfrotto, considering that they lose at least 50 percent of their value once they are purchased new. I have spent a total of $310 on about $1,200 worth of tripods/heads on the used market (one on Craigslist and one on E-Bay). A 3036 and a 3051, one in like-new shape, the other well-used, with a 3047 head on each. Lighter-duty models would cost you even less. The new Tiltalls are very and rickety in comparison, and the lack of a quick release can be a real pain. Just my two cents.

18. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My thinking would be just the opposite. For the price of one of the new cheap knockoffs, you can have the real deal in good condition. I've owned two of them. Sold them when I went carbon fiber, which is better, but at much greater cost. I wouldn't have traded my Leitz Tiltalls for the new ones.

19. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Darin,
    The Originals use brass thread in the legs and aluminum collars.
    Leitz cheapened them by using aluminum on both. The newest incarnation. I suspect the same as Leitz but wouldn't expect anywhere near the same quality.

20. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah thank you for the extra information. i did not realize the new ones were skimped on.
    Now I will have to rethink things.

21. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is either an advantage or not. With many more cameras and accessories than I want to fit with QR plates, the standard tripod screw of the Tiltall is preferable.

Nsurit is right about the covering material on the Tiltall's top being a problem. I replaced mine with thin rubber gasket material attached with rubber cement.

23. dhosten

dhosten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my opinion, the new Tiltalls are a poor comparison to the E. Leitz, Marchioni, Kinghome, Uniphot and Star D tiltall models. They are no better than the newer Chinese tripods, but no worse. If you're not going to spring for Gitzo, don't need a quick release, won't be working bigger than 4x5, then an older Tiltall might be just the thing for you.

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a black tiltall bought from b+h back in 1988 .. i still use it often
    if you get an old one ... make sure it has the threaded head on the bottom of the center column.
    one of the legs unscrews, the threaded head screws into it
    ... and you have a monopod .... sometimes monos are helpful, sometimes they aren't ...

25. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is too old to be a monopod, but that is a nice feature.

I rather like it not being a quick-release system. I've had some history with losing quick release adaptors.