Where to stay in Monument Valley

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by david b, Apr 12, 2004.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will be going to Monument Valley Utah for a few days in july and need to find a cheap, clean hotel/motel to stay at.

Any recommendations?

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 20 miles from Monument Valley is Kayenta, a small town that has a number of motels including the usual Best Weston etc. You should find a room at a sensible price there. There is only one hotel near the valley and I believe it is quite expensive and usually busy.

Have a good trip and may the light be good for you.

3. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    While you're in the area, Mexican hat and the goosenecks of the San Juan are also very scenic.

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got back from that area. Definately stay in Kayenta. You will see several motels that are not full right on the main hwy. There is also a good little resturant that looks like a huge blue wooden hogan that has fair Navajo tacos. Just remember to obey the speed limits near the towns and the monument. Also if you go off on a side road, make sure that you ask permission if a house is near. 4 years ago i went off on one, and stopped near a house, stayed on the road, but the man in the house came out waving a large stick and running at us. I left fast. this time I had my foster daughter along and she translated for me.