Where's my stain? Maxim Muir PCD

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dogzbum, Feb 20, 2005.

1. dogzbum

dogzbum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have recently been trying Maxim Muir's Pyrocatechin Compensating Developer as described in Anchell/Troop as means of obtaining some tanning using ingredients I already have.

First roll was 35mm 100TMX exposed at EI80 devved for 7:15 @ 23degC (73.4degF). Result was extremely thin and flat (printable through grade 4.5 -> 5 mulitgrade filter).

Second roll was 120 100ACROS exposed at EI80 devved for 9:00 @ 24degC (75.2degF). Result is still a little thin but looks good for contrast (should not need multigrade filter).

However I can see no evidence of any stain. Read somewhere that t-grain films don't really respond to tanning. Has anyone used this dev / film combo or can suggest what is going wrong?

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using an acid stop bath or fix? How about a wash aid? These can effect how much stain you're getting. You're right, though, that TMX does not generally stain very much. You might try developing a test roll of a film that stains a lot. Ilford FP4+, Bergger 200, or something similar. Can you see the stain with these films? If so, than your process is probably not to blame.

-Peter
    www.desmidt.net

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite possibly nothing at all has gone wrong. Pyrocatechin stain can be hard to see with some t-grain films and still be there and working for you.

To measure the stain effect - if any, you need a color densitometer with blue channel capability or a UV densitometer. If you do not own a densitometer you may be able to get a 1 hour color lab to read your film for you. On the blue channel you should get proportionally higher readings (compared to the all channel readings) as you move from the shadow areas to the highlight areas.

Take a look at Sandy Kings Article on Pyro Staining Developers:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html

4. dogzbum

dogzbum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmmm... food for thought. I didn't print much from the TMX roll and I haven't printed any of the 100ACROS yet. Perhaps there is stain but I don't know what I'm looking for. I don't sensitometrise either. I like a bit of ambiguity and mystery.

Think I'll try Peter's idea and grab some old skool film. FP4+ or PANF+. I wish I could get Bergger in Australia!!

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have only used that developer once - on APX100. And Ye Gods - did it ever compensate! When you can see both shadow details and sunspots on the same negative, I'll call it a success!

6. dogzbum

dogzbum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ole:
    did you get visible stain on the APX100? If so, what colour?

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, greenish yellow-brown. Not very visible, but very obvious when printing. Try printing on VC and graded paper - very soft on VC, yet too hard for grade 1 paper. Great for POP, too!