which 4x5 holder for first LF?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Ishotharold, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ishotharold

Ishotharold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am determined to build myself a 4x5 this fall, I am wondeirng if there are any pitfalls I need to avoid in buying a film holder to base it off of. Looking for something that will allow for the easiest design without being too costly.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film holders are an Ansi standard when it comes to 4x5. Unless you buy something REALLY old or a plate holder I think they should all be the same. Or at least close enough. You might want to check the Ansi

http://home.online.no/~gjon/lffaq.htm

There used to a webpage with pictures but that's the best I can find. Section #6.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would avoid the wooden holders at first until you can judge which holders are in good shape and which aren't. I've found that if you shop around you can get 4x5 holders for around $10 each on the average used. I've found the Lisco and Regal to be nice enough, and I've got a pair of Toyo holders that I bought new that are nice too.

- Randy

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. Ishotharold

Ishotharold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I will be back often in the coming months.

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to use the measurements to build and test a camera back, I'd try to get a new or like-new Toyo holder. They seem to be made to tighter tolerances, and they generally have good flatness and keep the film square in the holder (some have more play, often due to wear, so the sheet can become crooked in the holder). Then if you want to shoot with other holders, at least you'll know the back was made with one that should be in tolerance.

8. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just avoid the wood MPP holders which have a significantly different plane of focus.

Good luck!

Lachlan

9. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not exactly, outside measurements can differ 10s of a millimeter, believe be because it bothered me once, but you can't do wrong with any modern plastic (is it plastic?) filmholder on an industrial built international back.
    For your own confort, read this thread on the subject.

As Nick says, stay away from anything that does smell like wood, unless you're tempted to go ULF :smile:

A decent holder on eBay will generally go for $13.00, that's the maximum bid I tend to place per 4x5" holder.

@ David & Ishotharold:

the Fidelity holders are a triffle wider than the Riteway brand. It's better to build your camera back around a Fidelity.
    If you want any plans for guidance or inspiration on a homebuilt camera back, feel free to contact me by email and I'll send you a generic plan.

G

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format