which alternative for Nikon SB24/25/26 on an F4s

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by rhmimac, Feb 13, 2010.

1. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi

I'm investigating buying the SB24 for my F4s.
    I really want the 2nd (rear) curtain flash possibility for indoor shooting with longer than 1/60 to 1/250 shutter times.

The SB24/25/26 models seem the only Nikon flashes giving this option to the F4s because on the SB24 you can switch it on manually.

On my other SB28 / F100 combo 2nd curtain flash is an in-the-camera-menu setting.

Is there anyone who's shooting F4 or F4s with 3rd party flashes(Metz,or ...) which can be set on 2nd curtain flash mode on the flash itself?

On the new(er) Metz AF TTL models currently on their website the instruction manual says switching it on is done in the camera menu itself. :-( So no use for the F4s.

Am I correct?

Thank's for any help.

rhmimac

2. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. RMP-NikonPro

RMP-NikonPro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd not worry about other 3rd party flashes, SB24/25/26/27 & 28 are all cheap as chips in ebay!

4. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Or buy an N6006 body for peanuts. It has a built-in flash with rear curtain
    sync and other tricks.

5. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    me too

looking for a good flash to use with the N8008s
    already have the book for the sb-24

6. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been contemplating an SB-600/800 for future-proofing when the F200 or the F7 comes out

7. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the SB28 is perfect on my F601/N6006 (got 2 of them)
    it will be a great companion on your F801 too

the F4 needs a SB24, it seems there are few alternatives

rhmimac

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
  8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The SB-26 can be used as a second wireless slave flash, FWIW. Works from a photoreflective cell and I found it quite handy.

9. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Don't forget the Metz option. I use the MZ-40i series with the F4 and it works stellar, as accurate as the SB-24/26, both of which I have. I like the Metz because its lower profile on the camera. Good on batteries, great recycling, and can also be found for cheap, and they are super tough. I have my 1st MZ that I used for weddings and shot probably 40 weddings a year for 5-6 year before getting another one to use as the main and the 1st one as back up, still no failures or problems.

10. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    METZ/F4 combo?

Does the MZ40i give you the rear (2nd) curtain flash option as on the SB24?

It's a no go for me when it's not possible on the METZ/F4 combo.

It seems that few people are using it for giving background registration combined with (a little) people's motion. It gives my indoor flashed subjects more natural action as I don't like them to be "frozen" and sharp edged on the film but more or less "floating".

tnx for your input :smile:

rhmimac

11. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is tough to beat the light output of an SB25 or SB26. I would suggest checking KEH in Atlanta, since if you do have a problem with a used flash, you can return or exchange it. I own one SB25 and many SB26 Speedlights. The SB26 versions can be set-up as remote flashes with the slave feature, so you can add lots of light to nearly any scene.

12. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, you can do the 2nd curtain with the Metz, but most of the time I just drop the shutter speed to get the background to register. You will need the correct Metz module, which is 3401, and that unit has the Man/Sun adjustment such as the SB 24/26, which I never use. I do use the exposure compensation a lot, which on the module, is a small slider switch in 1/3 increments, extremely fast and intuitive to use especially at weddings. When shooting fast and switching from light colored bridesmaids dresses to black groomsmens tuxes the adjustment is quick by FEEL and Doesn't Require My Eyes, which means I can pay attention to what is happening and not on the exposure compensation adjustment. All other flashes require a LCD screen look, multi-button press and visual confirm, PITA after the Metz. Don't these people use these things?

13. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Another thing about the Metz route, most of the time the used units are like new with extremely low usage, and they are very tough durable and long lasting. Lots of the SB series if a good price have been well used and show it, and may have a more limited milage left on them.

14. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you Ridingwaves for sharing the Metz info.
    I'll take a deeper look into the Metz option.

rhmimac