Which Camera to take to Spain?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by ronlamarsh, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Am leaving for Spain in a few days and am torn as to which cameras to take. So here goes: rolleiflex 3.5T or rolleicord w/xenar, nikon F3 or contaflex w/tessar? I'll be taking one of each format and only black and white film with me and weight is an issue as we will be flying some discount airlines in-country. Damage and possible theft are also and issue although i fear damage the most likely.
    I am leaning toward the contaflex with 43mm tessar as it takes wonderful images and is very stout and much more compact than the F3. Am also leaning toward the Rolleiflex 3.5 T as it is the most reliable and the viewing screen is superior.

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've taken my Rolleiflex on the last 3 trips to Europe, and it's a great walkaround camera - flexible, quiet, inoffensive - I pack it with a closeup adapter, little cable release gossen digisix and tiny manfrotto tripod and this ALL fits with some film in a small camera bag - this setup pretty much works for everything (even long exposures of Viking ships in a dark museum - with the little tripod sitting on a seat next to me), and the waist level finder means you're not staring at people and that coupled with the innate charm of Rolleiflexes anyway seems to make people react very favourably to them. (I also drag around a 4x5" in a backpack, but less so in cities, for comfort/security more than anything)

Marc!

3. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tough decision. Depends on your shooting style. I tend to be a deliberative shooter being used to MF and Polaroid pack cameras so, I've vote for the Rolleiflex and the Contaflex. The Contaflex is a joy to use and the lenses for it are excellent. Do you have a complete lens set for it? They are not all that expensive and very usable. The Rolleiflex is a no brainer though the 'Cord is lighter if it makes a difference. The F3 for me would be too heavy and bulky.

4. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thans Brian,

The contaflex is an older fixed lens 43mm tessar that gives an edge to B&W that my Japanese lenses just don't. I have opted for the Rollieflex/contaflex combo.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would go with the Rolleiflex!

Jeff

6. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why are you asking us? What do we know about what you feel about each camera and what you plan to aim it at?

7. petras@foto.sk

petras@foto.sk Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    E-Coli proof :smile:

8. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have traveled with my Rollei and loved it. Very light camera and stellar images.

9. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am heading to Spain this month too! Should be there by the 20th and leaving the 27th. I plan on bringing my Mamiya RB67 and my Canon (d)SLR. I have 6 rolls of 120 everything from 50 to 400 and two packs of Fuji Instant film! The Mamiya is going to be my "unobtrusive" camera :D and the dSLR is going to be for snapshots. (Funny how that works out huh).

I thought about bringing my Yashica TLR but I love the look, the feel, and the backs of my Mamiya and thats how I came to the decision to take it.

Have fun and if you end up on the Isla de Palma maybe we will run into each other.

~M

10. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ?

EEEEEEEExxxxxxxxxxxuuuuuuuusssssssssssseeeeeeeeee ME

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Went to Spain in Feb and took my Yashicamat 124. It was perfect, so either of your Rollei's the T's possibly the better choice. My Rolleiflex 3.5E with Xenotar was in the UK or I'd have taken that.

Ian