Which Canon FD mount SLR to test first?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by _pcv_, Mar 20, 2014.

1. _pcv_

_pcv_ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you had these Canon FD mount cameras and never used any of them (I've been shooting with my Elan 7E/EOS 30 till now), which one would you take out for a walk first (with FD 1,4/50)?
    Canon FTb-N
    Canon EF
    Canon A-1
    Canon AE-1 Program

Best regards,
    Per-C

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Per-C,

welcome to Apug :smile:! I tried A-1 and it was nice camera, but on the end I end up with T90, which is terrific camera. I think all of them are nice cameras - it is question of manual vs. automatic control of shutter, aperture ... but all of them can produce nice results.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The all are family... So feel" would not be that different.
    The A-1 has an unpleasantly located metering memory button as we recently discussed in another thread.

Just because they are similar in feel I rather would put them all on a table first and look for differences: focusing aids, controls, exposure automation etc.

Then decide what would be of most importance to you, and take that for a walk.
    (I myself am bad on decicisionmaking...)

4. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ftbn. Then the EF.
    Ae-1
    Last a-1.
    I like the ftbn/ef ergonomics better than the ae1 and a1.
    A1 offers aperture priority which is a nice option.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.

5. _pcv_

_pcv_ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for your replies, guys!

I have shot mostly digital with a 5D mark III, occationally as I wrote above with the EOS 30. Of course with the same EF lenses. I felt a need to revive my photography hobby and decided to explore Canon's FD system and use film more. Suddenly I had five FD mount cameras (two FTbn's) and a 28mm and 50mm (both 1.4 and 1.8). I'm leaning towards trying out the EF first. Regardsless, I think I'll have a lot of fun in near future :smile:.

6. MattKrull

MattKrull Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I own an AE1 and love it. It has a great feel to it (imo). So naturally I'd suggest that :wink:

The FTb has a reputation as a really great camera. To be honest, that's the one I'd play with first.

Trythis, the AE-1 has aperture priority as well. with prices what they are these days, I can't see a reason to chose using an A-1 over an AE-1.

7. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of the ones you list I do not have the AE-1 Program. I would use the FTbN first. The FTbN gives you 12 degree metering, mirror lock-up, a depth of field preview lever, Quick Loading and a fairly quiet shutter. Most of these are found with the plain microprism focusing screen but some have the combination splt image/microprism aid. The EF has center weighted metering and is also found with both types of focusing screens. It is not as convenient to use in manual mode but has a faster responding silicon blue meter cell. The flash synch speed is faster but there is no Quick Loading and not all of the shutter speeds work without batteries. Both cameras use Canon's rectangular diopter attachments. The EF, of course, has shutter priority automation. You need to either have the meter adjusted on the FTbN for use with alkaline 1.5 volt batteries or you can use an MR-9 adapter or just put in 675 1.4 volt znc-air hearing aid betteries. The battery cahmber's spring will hold the zinc-ar battery in place. The EF takes two A625 1.5volt cells and adjusts their voltage. The A-1 doesn't suit everyone. It has center weighted metering and many exposure modes but is not handy to use in manual mode and is especially annoying to use if you like to preview your depth of field. It does allow the use of motorized film advance. The AE-1 Program has user interchangeable focusing screens while the A-1 has factory interchangeable focusing screens (if you can find any of them). I enjoy using an FTb or FTbN or EF if I am not using an F-1, F-1n or F-1N. I am not looking at my A-1 now but I think it also takes the rectangular eyepiece accessories.

8. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Id take two bodies and two lenses The EF and any of the others.
    Just in case you had a problem with cassette or camera.

9. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EF, along with the T90, are Canon's two best manual focus SLRs, I think.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would go for the FTb or the EF first. They are all great cameras.

Jeff

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EF and the Ftbn, are the best of the cameras you have.

12. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thought the AE-1 Program was shutter priority or all Program. I haven't seen any way to make it work with aperture priority anywhere, perhaps you have the two mixed up?

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're quite correct the A1 was Canon's first S.L.R.to offer aperture priority automation.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FTBn is a terrific manual camera that doesn't always seem to get the respect that it deserves. It is virtually bulletproof and built to last.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had an Ftbn for about 35 years and have recently retired it, it's still in good condition and working O.K but needs a C.L.A.which would be uneconomical for me to have done.

17. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'd probably try the AE-1. Was it the best seller of the FD mount cameras? And there should be enough AE-1 cameras out there that it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I picked up an A-1 recently. The seller included the manual, which is good. The camera has lots of options. I'm looking forward to having some fun with it.

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They sold over a million AE1's, your A1 is a better camera I.M.O. because. It has more exposure options.

19. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite of the A series, is the A-1. It is the most flexible of the bunch for auto modes.

With the MA motor drive it has been a enjoyable companion since I bought it new, in 81.

I have the AE-1P as well, but the A-1 is still my baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The A-1 is also my favorite of the A series.

Jeff

21. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had all four, once upon a time. They're all gone now, except for a few FTbn. Uneconomical or not, I had two of them CLA'd and the battery circuit adjusted for modern batteries. They're wonderful cameras. I never got on with the EF, I was always frustrated with the unfortunate placing of the ON/OFF switch; I always seemed to turn the camera off with my right thumb when I raised it to my face. Of the A series the AT-1 was my favorite, I may even have one or two around here, though I haven't seen them for a while. An F-1 and New F-1 both see occasional use.

Don't even ask about my T90s... :whistling:

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Each of those cameras has its merits:
    one has mirror-lock, one got choices of AE, one got a nice metering-memory function, two are all metal and so on...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  23. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I loved my Canon EF when I was affiliated to that make. I called it 'my poor man's F1'. Robustly made, and gave me confidence to get things sharp every time without fear of camera shake even down to 1/30th of a second - BUT. The big drawback was it is so heavy! Even my Nikon F4 or F2a are lighter beasts, or so they seem. However that said, I would use one again, but they are so very rare now it takes a lot of searching to find one that is working and in good condition.

24. cyrano55

cyrano55 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Same here, I prefer the EF (larger) handlng and shutter dial that overhangs but the FTBn is very compact and has faster loading and is completely manual too I believe.

I own 1 FTB and 2 EF :smile:

25. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FTb has mercury cell metering, so you'll have to have the voltage changed (uneconomical), source different batteries of similar voltage (can be tricky) or use a separate meter.

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you think the EF is heavy don't buy an F1.