Which developer for Delta 100

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by deepcore, May 25, 2007.

1. deepcore

deepcore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello

I have just shooted 4 x 120 rolls of Delta 100. This is my frist time using Delta 100 so want to know if you have any recommendations for which developer and dilution I should use.

I have T-MAX and Rodinal developers at school but I have read that these are not good developers for Delta 100 (?)

My best results so far was with Acros 100 in 1:100 Rodinal but I thought i´d give Delta 100 a try since Acros is not as available here, and I´m not to fan of TMAX 100.

BTW - The pictures taken are of landscapes.

2. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried Delta in Rodinal, D76/ID11, HC110, Neopress HC Pyrocat HD, DS10, DS12, FX2n aso. It turns out nice in about any developer as long as you get the time right.

If I were you Rodinal would be my first choice but take care: If you think your results are too grainy and lack resolution shorten the developement and lower your ISO-rating. Been there, done that.

Best

Stefan

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Pyrocat (either HD, P or MC) with Delta 100

4. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear deepcore,

For every film-developer combination you will find posts that tell you how horrible or wonderful it is. Either of the developers that you have easy access to will work well with Delta100. The trick is for you to get the exposure and development to produce prints to your tastes.

Neal Wydra

5. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nothing wrong with Delta 100 in Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50. Nice tonality, sharp grain and with 120 you've got nothing to worry about with the size of the grain unless you're printing very, very large.

Mike

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I experimented with Ilfosol S, DD-X, and Rodinal before settling on Paterson Aculux. I find it to be sharp, fine-grained and with superb tonality. It's quite cheap too.

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rodinal 1+50 for 8 minutes, I think this is a great combination, but it's for EI50. In any event, you have four rolls in a row, after the first you can adjust your time and agitation regardless of what you use.

8. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ID-11 or D76, diluted 1+1 is good enough for me. I used to soup it in XTOL(1+1), which is also very good. Delta100 in 120 is just stunning!

Cheers,
    omar

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    At present I use Ilfotec HC for everything. It seems to give nice results with everything too, so I'll be using it until all my 10 liters of concentrate are gone. And then I will buy some more...

10. AlanC

AlanC Member

Deepcore,

Tom Hoskinson likes delta 100 with Pyrocat. I can't stand the combination!
    This is what you are up against when you ask for recommendations.
    Delta 100 is very smooth toned. Pyrocat HD smooths the tones out even more. The result is like melted plastic; the last thing I want when I want to record textures such as weathered wood, peeling paint, rocks, etc.
    For this reason I no longer use delta 100 but if I did I would develop it in Rodinal, 1:25

Alan Clark

11. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have used HC-110 with Delta100 with very satisfying results.

12. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always liked the way it looks in Rodinal 1+50 for 8.5 minutes. It's probably work nicely at 1+100 too - I'd guess around 18-20 minutes if you go easy on the agitation.

13. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, there's not a pictorial quality film made today that doesn't do well in D-76, or one of it's close cousins, either straight or 1+1. And if that's true, then it follows that it will perform just as well or maybe better in XTOL which was designed to be a "better" D-76. There's no need to get exotic here unless you want to. I process a lot of both Delta 100 and Delta 400 in either of these developers for a friend of mine and have never been disappointed with the results. There's no need to get exotic with this film unless you want to.

14. deepcore

deepcore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the answers!

I think I will go for liquid. Either Rodinal, DD-X, HC110/Ilfotec HC or perhaps FX-39.

15. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stick with simple and cheap, i.e. try Rodinal and/or HC110/Ilfotec HC first and put your money into more tests and experimenting. Pays off in the long run :D

16. rusty71

rusty71 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, here's one more vote for Delta 100 in Rodinal. I used the digitaltruth.com times for 1:50 dilution and they look great with the 120 film.
    Have fun!

17. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does no one use Ilford's DDX for Delta?
    Tim

18. Fraxinus

Fraxinus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always used DDX with Delta films and found it produced results I was very happy with. I never compared it with anything else though.
    I would imagine that HC110 would produce equally good results, based on my past experience with that mixture.

19. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wouldn't DDX produce a noticeable increase in speed? I'm thinking of trying Delta100 instead of Neopan400 (35mm) because I'm looking for a bit more detail, but want to minimise the speed loss.

20. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is said to give full speed rather than increased speed. I use it for D400 at 320 and find that even minor time reduction to compensate is unwise though (for my taste & kit)
    Tim

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  21. deepcore

deepcore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I developed it in 1+50 Rodinal for 10 min.

The first thing that struck me was how thin the film was. When I loaded the film from the roll to the developer tank I had to double check that I didnt load the paperback instead of the film. The film was also very slippery when wet compared to others. One thing I like about is that it doesn´t curl.

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]