Which enlarger lens for MF ???

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by stark_674, Mar 12, 2011.

1. stark_674

stark_674 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

I am entering on the MF world after buying my Mamiya C330F.
    Now I have to buy a MF enlarger lens and I would want to know which is the best choice to find on ebay.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestion
    Bye

NB: I have a Rodagon 50 f/2,8 for 35mm and would like to try a different brand maybe.

2. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can't go wrong with a Schneider or a Rondenstock.

Mike

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye out for an 80mm Schneider or Rodenstock lens for 6x6cm negativs.

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your best bet is a 75 to 105mm (80 mm is typical) brand-name (Schneider, Rodenstock or Nikon) six-element lens. I would not buy a four-element lens (not even brand-name) with prices as low as they are these days.

However, be aware that the differences between lenses of the same make and type are often greater than between makes. Therefore, if you can, try before you buy, or insist on the option to return. Watch for oily blades, hard working apertures, foggy glass and internal dust.

5. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find a 75mm gives good coverage AND working distance (due to the magnification) for my Yashicaflex 6x6 while I use a 90mm for my Mamiya RB67 negatives (and 50mm f/2.8 El-Nikkor for 35mm and 126). The general choice is between a 6 element design or a 4 element design which will be cheaper and perhaps not quite as sharp in the corners. My Yashicaflex's old 80mm f/3.5 Yashimar lens isn't that sharp anyways and it is difficult to get perfect focus with the old WLF and knob focus so I haven't bothered to get an expensive lens for 6x6 but I did get a 6-element design for my 6x7 negs since the Mamiya Sekor glass is better and the SLR can be focused more accurately.

The El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f4 & Schnieder Componon S 80mm f4 are all are 6 element lenses but the 4-element El-Nikkor 75mm 5.6 is cheaper.

6. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have an 80mm Schneider APO-Componon which I like a lot. I bought it used on e-Bay.

7. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stark,
    All the big brands will do a fine job. But each have their "palette".
    You mention you want to try another brand, what is it about the Rodagon that you find displeasing? Or is it just to see what the others will bring to the table?

I am a fan of the Apo-Rodagon N glass. The 80 or the 105 (a touch long) would be a good choice if you like the feel of that glass.
    * If you hunt on E bay: The red striped Apo Rodagons are process lenses not enlarging lenses and are often listed as enlarging lenses none the less.
    The apo componon HM series are said to be amazing performers also.

However, If you are printing "soft dreamy" portraits, neither may be a good choice for you.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are patient, you can find EL-Nikkor 80mm lens here on APUG classified. I have one and it is a fine lens.

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just finished a session using my EL Nikkor 1:4 75mm lens which has served me extremely well for very many years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

10. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I really think people kick around the 4-element designs though it's funny because on the other hand people will rave about some old Tessars on cameras.

11. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if you are on a budget then look for an old Minolta Erokkor, They are great lenses, as good as anything newer, I had one, a 75mm 6 element, and it outperformed both a Nikkor, rodenstock and shenider, sadly the floor in my darkroom is concrete and I dropped, fine glass and concrete don't mix, but I still miss that lens,Richard

12. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know a guy that tested them all. Get a post 1990 Rodenstock.

Thats what I use for MF.
    Nikkor for 35mm... actually I just use the 80 Rodenstock for 35mm
    Have 1970's Schieder 80.. that doesn't get used since th Rodenstock came a long.
    Have an old Wooley and 1970's Schnieder for LF.

And I use my VC filters above!!! (looking for a smiley)... cant find them...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  13. stark_674

stark_674 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks

Thanks to all,

I think I will go on a Schneider Componon 80 f4 maybe, I am enjoying my Rodenstock lens but I want to try another one, just to FEEL the differences (I dont think I will be able to SEE differences).
    6 element will be my choice, I didn't know to keep attention to this.
    Bye

14. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Vivitar VHE 100mm. It's made by Schnieder and is very sharp. As the entire VHE Vivitar line

15. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    6 Element Lenses

I agree, skip the 4 element lenses.

Six element lenses include Rodenstock's Rodagon, Schneider's Componon and Componon-S, and Nikon's El Nikkor.

While a Componon is a six element lens, the Componon-S is more recent and a better, general purpose lens.

The Apo lenses, Apo Rodagon, Apo Componon, and if you could ever find one for under $2000 (!), the Apo El-Nikkor, have more than six elements and perform better. But, one would need a glass negative carrier to get the full advantage of these Apo lenses. One can get excellent results with the six element lenses.

Avoid the Apo-Ronar or Apo-Gerogon lenses. They are process lenses and not optimized for enlarging.

16. captainbedworthy

captainbedworthy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Schneider Componon 105

That's for 66, for 67 8 9 get a 135. (Longer = flatter field, less corner distortion/light falloff)